Thursday, October 3, 2013

What Can I Get Started For You?

So, shortly after arriving in Longmont, we visited the Spirit Halloween store.  It's our favorite type of store, of course!  This year, they have lots of animated props...an interactive playground for the slightly twisted, like us!  It's a good thing we aren't in our house in Hobart because I think we may have dropped a small fortune!  (Altho, I truly miss our graveyard and sincere pumpkin patch...and all of the other fun things we would do on Halloween day for the trick-or-treaters!)
 
I applied to Spirit online that nite and received a call the very next day!  Two calls, actually!  They must really want me, I am thinking!  And, who wouldn't?!  With my resume, it's easy to see that I would be reliable and once they meet me and see my love for all things All Hallow's Eve, well, hiring me would be their best decision!  So, I returned the call and set up an interview for later that week.  This would be the most ideal time for me to get a part-time, temporary job at a Halloween store, right?  I'm between jobs after the move, this would help me be even more in the spirit of our favorite holiday and I would love to help people buy costumes, accessories and props to enhance their Halloween experiences! 
 
Come Thursday, at noon, I arrive several minutes early for my interview.  I spot some small things I want to buy once I get an employee discount (a sugar skull magnet and something witchy for my mom).
 
Upon meeting the manager, Gary, he immediately informs me that he is under a hiring freeze!  I'm thinking, why didn't you call me this morning to let me know this?  Why are you wasting my time if you have no means to offer me a job?  We chat for several minutes anyway and he tells me that he will have everything with HR straightened out and will contact me next week.   
 
Can you believe I NEVER heard back?!? 
 
Chris and I have gone back to the store once and I really had hoped to see this Gary and make a point of saying hello!!  It certainly appears that he wants to continue to hire young, possibly unreliable...girls!  (He told me at my "interview" that HR had him at 12 employees, when he only had 5 after firings and quittings...and this was only the middle of September!!)
 
In the meantime, I also applied online for the several Starbucks locations in Longmont.  I love spending time in Starbucks, it's always so relaxing and smells so good!  Plus, I love the drinks and pumpkin scones!!!  I think it would be fun to learn what goes on behind the counter of one of my favorite businesses!  The baristas always seem to be enjoying themselves!!
 
Once again, the day after applying, I receive a voicemail for an interview.  This time, when I arrive, it is a real interview for a job that, in fact, exists!  The manager informs me that it will take about a week for a background check (and I let him know that I possess a federal background clearance, which he thought may be the case) and he will contact me. 
 
He DID call and offered me the gig!  So, on Monday, I start my part-time job.  I have to run to Goodwill this weekend (lucky me, it's a 50% off day on Saturday) to grab some black collared shirts and a pair of khaki pants, which I will pair with my chunky Mary Janes by Anarchy (bought at Hot Topic years ago), so that I have the right Starbucks "uniform" (black or white collared shirt, black or khaki shorts or pants and black or brown waterproof shoes). 
 
Not only is this a learning opportunity for my own personal gain, I see this as a learning tool for the future Extrava Market I will run for my friends, Jason & Julie Ufema.  Yep...I am working on getting them to open up a shop here, outside of Pennsylania!  Yesterday, when Chris and I were walking in Boulder, I found an ideal location for lease...sent them pics, too!  ;) 
 
The changing of the seasons...this one, my favorite, with the changing of the leaves, is also a time for my change: where I live, where I work, even the color of my hair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog