Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Matter of Weeks

It's been a strange week.  My first full week working a "real" schedule at Starbucks.  I had both my first closing and opening, with a couple other early mornings thrown in for good measure.  (Can you believe I have been there 3 weeks already?!?)
 
I knew I was not an early morning person (I had been working my last job from 8-4 for 11 years, for goodness sakes!!) and having to wake up at 3AM for a 4:20 start to my workday cemented that opinion.  I didn't even really get much sleep that nite.  By 1AM, I just got out of bed and came downstairs to read a bit, hoping it would help me fall asleep for a couple of hours, at least.  I set the alarm on my phone and, wouldn't you know, when I had just gotten some shut eye, it goes off. 
 
While it is nice to have my shift over by 9AM, I just can't do those waking hours.  I also worked a 6:30AM start and a 7AM, neither of which I am a fan, either.
 
What's a girl to do?  Not stress over it!  This is a part-time job that I am just using to recharge and, hopefully, have a little fun, while learning new things.  I left a note for my manager to say that the early hours are not for me, that I would like my shifts to start no earlier than 9AM.  I also reiterated that I wanted only 3-4 shifts, 20 hours max, with Sundays off. 
 
Chris had 3 job interviews this week (only 2 were for jobs he would actually consider).  I went with him to both Denver and Boulder, just hanging out while he did his thing!  In Denver, I waited outside a Starbucks (there weren't any tables inside...where it was warm), but I should have gone next door to Einstein Bros. Bagels to get their Autumn Roast coffee!  I would have saved money, gotten free refills and been able to sit at a table.  I just wasn't thinking!  Sheesh!
 
In Boulder I sat outside, on a grassy hill, the sun warming my back, on the CU campus, while the students went to & fro.  It is a gorgeous campus and I can't wait to spend more time there.  I/We really want Chris to land the CU-Boulder job and I would like to take some classes over the years.  I need to see what master's programs interest me, so that I am ready!!! 
 
I did a little people watching because I can't get over the varied fashions we see out here!  It's fantastic!  Most anything goes!  I think it is partly due to the weather changing from morning to afternoon to nite...chilly, warm/hot, chilly/cold.  It pretty much requires layering. Altho, some are only in shorts and tees while others are completely covered from head to toe! 
 
Here we are October 26th and we can still wear shorts!  I wore some yesterday with a tank, thin button-up shirt and my Docs!  Rockstar! 
 
Tonite is our Halloween party!  We are headed to Crowne Plaza in Denver for Coloween!  The hotel takeover!  Should be a great time!  My friend, Jenn, is meeting up with us for a bit (she has about 5 parties to attend tonite!).
 
Tomorrow, we plan to head to LoDo (Lower Downtown Denver) to check it out.  I am not 100% sure what is there (or what even might be open on Sundays), but I hear it's a cool part of the city.  We figure we should take advantage of already being there, plus the weather is supposed to be close to 70's ~ our idea of the PERFECT Fall day!!
 
I believe we hit our 6-week mark this past Tuesday.  It must take about that much time (little more/little less for some) to begin to feel less sad about where/who/what you left and more like this is where you actually live.  I do think that getting my job, even part-time, helped establish the sense of "home" for me.  Chris & I also like to get out and discover our surroundings, which we have done in Longmont by walking neighborhoods off the downtown, driving different routes to places, stopping in stores along the way and, really, just the regular stuff like grocery shopping, banking, Goodwill hunting. 
 
Also, I notice less & less "missing you"-type FB posts from friends back in Indiana. It's okay...to be expected ~ they are still doing the things we all did together; they have kept their routine.  Sure, my absence was evident in the beginning, but they just move on, eventually.  I really do miss my gym: the intense workouts and my friends!  It just doesn't hurt AS much now.  But, when I work out here, thoughts of them always creep into my head!  Trainer Chris's Friday nite ab circuit!  Hammer yelling at us to sprint!  The silliness of Sammi & Carroll!  The teasing of Alec, aka T Rex!  All of this instantly brings a smile to my face (and a hint of a tear to my eyes). 
 
Looking ahead to this week: party tonite, pumpkin carving Monday or Tuesday, working 4 shifts, awaiting call-backs for 2nd interviews for Chris, seeing Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween. 
 
I think we might hit a snag in our delightful weather, too.  Like a drop in temps to 40 degrees again! Halloween looks to only be in the 50's!  Good thing we are stocked up on coffee to keep us warm! 
 
Oh, and we were able to find a new creamer flavor!  Coffeemate's Girl Scouts Caramel & Coconut!!!  Bought 2 ...they are only the small bottles.  Think we will have to head back to Walmart for, at least, 2 more!  If you are a fan of the Samoa cookie, or as it is also called the Caramel Delight, I believe, you will love this coffee creamer.  There is also Thin Mint for those of you not inclined to the Samoa or who want one of each!  Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog