Sunday, October 6, 2013

Go Buffs!!

We attended our first CU Boulder football game yesterday!
 
Well, not really attended.  We did walk the campus before the game!! 
 
The day was sunny and, somewhat, cool (altho, it was a bit warmer than we had expected and I think it's the bright sun simply warmer things up!).  We were able to walk around the campus, past the stadium (Folsom Field) and on to the college area of Boulder.  This was a far better day for a football game than when we attended the Notre Dame game, this time last year (rain, rain, rain and cold)!   
 
Even tho the Buffs aren't a good football team, it would have been delightful to be in the stadium!  I did enjoy all of that at the ND game, despite being soaked!!  If only someone had given us tix or sold them for cheap!  There were people selling them outside before the game and we should have asked the price, tho I didn't have a whole lot of cash on me because the thought didn't even cross my mind that we might score a deal. 
 
Then we headed to "The Hill" in the hope that one of the college bars would be airing the game.  We landed at The Sink.  This place had the college vibe from the get-go!  And while I don't think we actually went underground after entering, it felt like a dungeon!  Weird!  Apparently, the TV show "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" visited The Sink in 2011!  So we made an awesome pick!!!  We enjoyed more craft beers, this time from Prost Brewing and Left Hand Brewing.  I tried the Oktoberfest from Prost and it was pretty good (I wanted the Prost hefeweizen, but they were out!).  Chris got Left Hand's Milk Stout and it was dark and pleasantly, albeit surprisingly, delicious!  We also ordered one of their specialty pizzas, The Slaughterhouse Five (it is a college bar!!), which is chockfull of meats, to include a creole chicken!  The crust, we chose wheat, is handmade and our pizza arrived quick and hot!  We ordered the medium and each devoured our 3 large pieces!  We finished the meal with a Left Hand Milk Stout for each of us. 
 
We have been spending quite a bit of money just on beer in our (almost) 4 weeks here!  Sheesh!  But when one is surrounded by so many breweries it's hard not to try an ale or a lager whenever we dine out.  However, Chris said he is done, done, done with beer ~ the empty calories and the ~ahem~ bloating!  Especially with my exercise being nowhere near where it was in Indiana, I, too, need to keep an eye on what I am consuming, in both food and drink.  I would definitely go back to The Sink, especially during Happy Hour, which happens daily during the week and ALL day on Sundays! 
 
We have done fairly well snagging Happy Hour pricing at many of the brewpubs in both Boulder and Longmont. 
 
I hope to attend a game for real, maybe this year or after one (or both) of us get jobs at the University!  We'll dress in all black and sit among the fans, where I will quickly learn the songs and cheers and get totally involved in the traditions that are indicative to each and every college sports event!
 
In the meantime, I want to go back to the campus and walk it some more, especially as the leaves continue to change.  Next time, tho, I am wearing my tennis shoes or, better yet, my ever-so-stylish and super comfortable Doc Martens!  ;)  (My "new" black boots gave me a killer blister...bummer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog