Friday, June 27, 2014

Heather's Chicken Pot Pie

In anticipation of my mom's first Colorado visit next week, I am prepping some foods, so the three of us can have homemade dinners (& leftovers for lunch).  One of my favorite indulgences is a chicken pot pie recipe from my high school friend, Heather Beall. 
 
Because it is so scrumptious, I simply cannot keep the secret to myself.  So...to my faithful readers, here is the recipe:
 
4  9-inch deep dish pie crusts (or 2  10-inch)
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
 
Veloute sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour*
1 cup milk*
1 1/2 cups broth
salt, pepper & garlic to taste
 
In a saucepan, melt butter, blend in flour to make a paste.  Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.  Add broth, salt, pepper and garlic.  Bring to boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
 
In a large bowl, combine veggies, chicken and veloute sauce.
 
Pour equally into two crusts.  Top with second crusts.
 
Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
 
{I wrapped my unbaked pies in plastic wrap & aluminum foil and will adjust my baking time, as they will be cooked from frozen.}

*I used unsweetened almond milk, made flour by grinding up some rolled oats and did not use salt because I made my broth with a bouillon cube. 
 
Bon Appetit!!
 


1 comment:

Search This Blog