Saturday, March 1, 2014

To Everything There Is a Season

But have you noticed in television shows that this is not the case?  That all four seasons are not often incorporated?  Even season after season, no matter how long the show remains in production?? 
 
Recently, while watching reruns of "Sex and the City" it came to me that spring, summer & fall in New York City are expressed throughout the show, but never winter.  Those of us who KNOW winter know that snow isn't always pretty, that we can't dress all cute when we are outdoors, that the roads fill with old snow and dirty slush ~~~ not things that make for good tv sometimes, right?  Definitely not the place where the Carrie Bradshaws could be seen wearing Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks on the sidewalk and her fashion was its own character of the show!!  For me, I would really only care to visit NYC in winter and that is to see it all aglow and decked out with holiday decorations!!
 
At least "Will & Grace" had that episode where Grace saves Jack's behind by designing a Marshall Fields' Christmas window!  Those same iconic windows Chris and I made part of our anniversary weekends in Chicago many a year!!
 
One of my all-time favorite shows, "Gilmore Girls," is most often set in fall.  I suspect that is one of the many reasons I fell for the show!  The charm of Stars Hollow, aflutter with fallen leaves and autumn activities, made me long for my own home amid the cast of characters in this sleepy little town on the east coast.  But I still find it funny, a little odd, maybe, that we never saw summer in Stars Hollow.  Never saw Lorelei and Rory in shorts, bathing suits.  I loved the style selected for Lorelei: wrap dresses or pants with a cute blouse, topped with a cardigan or light jacket for business and jeans or casual pants with a tee and fun jacket for play!!  All of which screamed fall-wear. 
 
There are probably other shows out there, then & now, which do the same.  Think of how few holiday celebrations, be it Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, that aren't part of the episodes.  We may not even see any decorations.  I don't know if this is simply to avoid any religious criticisms from those organizations whose holidays aren't represented and then they just extend it to not portraying any secular holidays. 
 
It's just one of those things that made me go "Hmmmm." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog