Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Good Morning, Colorado-style!!

It's a chilly but very sunny mid-March morning here in Colorado.  Not a single cloud mars the bright cotton candy blue sky. 
 
Just before 9AM, as I head over to the complex fitness room what catches my eye, up in the sky ~~ a rainbow-colored hot air balloon! 
 
I am instantly transported to Sedona, Arizona, early September 2008 when Chris and I took our hot air balloon ride.  A last-minute, spur of the moment decision that we will never forget!  Coincidentally, we have a framed 8X10 picture Chris took of one of the other balloons in our group that morning.  The Red Rocks in the background, the lush landscape in the foreground, early morning clouds amid a blue desert sky.  It was so peaceful and surreal up in there! 
 
After finishing my workout and leaving the "gym," I look around to find the hot air balloon is beginning its descent.  I know the landing will be in the empty field right by us, so I decide to extend my cool-down with a little walk.  As it & I get closer, I turn off my iPod to hear the balloon's pilot (yes, they are called pilots!!) working his magic to gently lower balloon-basket-riders to the hard ground.  Superb!!  Just the slightest bounce!  (Our landing was a bit bumpier and included several of the other employees jumping & hanging onto the basket to bring us to a stop!) 
 
We have seen them periodically in our six months here, usually when we are driving off somewhere, and I am never less than mesmerized.  The winds in the Foothills have been blustery recently, tho, so I doubt any have gone up.  This is the closest "interaction" I have had here. 
 
I implore you...if you ever get the opportunity to ride in a hot air balloon, especially in a location where the backdrop is breathtaking, seize it!!!  And don't forget your camera!!!
 
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog