Monday, September 15, 2014

TV-less

Another of the changes we have made since moving from the suburbs to the city is no satellite tv.  We had DirecTV, but satellites are not allowed at our apartment building (it is an historic structure), so with a little finagling we were able to get out of our contract without penalty.  And we aren't going to pay Comcast prices.  Instead, we have opted to simply have internet service, which we complement with two digital antennas (one for the living room, the other for the bedroom) and access to my mom's Netflix account. 
 
The most time we have the television on, I would say, is the mornings when Chris is getting ready for work.  We like to have the local news on, even tho (thankfully!!) we no longer need to know the weather & traffic reports.  I also have to have it on to fall asleep, so I set the sleep timer for 60 or 90 minutes and am usually out for the count in plenty of time (except those nites when the upstairs neighbor isn't remembering he doesn't live in his own single-family home).
 
When we do actually watch programs, it's been "Breaking Bad".  We are on season 3, I think.  We started watching in Longmont and have been catching an episode or two here & there since the move.  I think we will move on to "Weeds", but I'm not sure.  I will also pop in my "Northern Exposure" DVDs.  I watched a few "American Horror Story: Coven" episodes from the internet last week.  I need to finish a few more to complete the season. 
 
 I find that I am not that interested in paying attention for too long.  So, another change I am experiencing post-move is losing interest in tv programming.  I'm not sad about this change, tho.  I like spending more time writing blog posts, researching fitness, exercising at my new gym and walking all over Denver with Chris. 
 
Last nite, tho, we were very excited to be able to get NBC thru the digital antenna, so that we could stay home to watch our beloved Chicago Bears!!!  It was great b/c we didn't have to spend money on food or drinks at a bar, we could be comfy in our pajamas ... and I napped for the mid-part of the game, apparently my lack of sleep slammed in to me when I took a moment to sit & relax!  I was up for the end of the game and thrilled when they came back to win!  Da Bears!!! 
 
I know that there isn't much on mid-day for free tv and I was mindlessly watching cable channels back in Longmont.  I am glad to be rid of that vice!!   
 
And once we remember to take our IDs and proof of address on one of our walks (that is part of this week's plan), we will hit the downtown Denver library to obtain cards ~~ then, I will be in reading heaven!!!  I've been jonesin' for books in hand!!!
 

3 comments:

  1. Ah, my beloved Comcast. It has gone up on me 2 times since my move. That might be a call I need to make today. I might have to let comcast go - I hardly ever watch T.V. any but I need the internet. We will see how it goes.
    T.V. does really steal time - so I'm glad you are content and have found ways to fill up your free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep your internet access. You can get a Netflix account and/or a digital antenna. I know you keep yourself busy with family and friends, so why pay for cable? You will also find yourself engaged in other things: walks, creative outlets, reading, phone calls. Let me know how it goes for you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Search This Blog