Thursday, September 18, 2014

Personal Growth

My new fitness gig at Matrix has had me a tiny bit on edge.  I was immediately handed my own classes to teach and have been asked (and accepted) to sub for others.  With all of that, I have had to create workouts for abs, TRX and small group training.  Soon, I will sub for a treadmill class and a Power Sculpt, an hour-long class devoted to strength training.
 
I have been trying to attend many classes to get a feel for what each entails, plus learning new techniques while also being reminded of exercises I have done in the past at LAB/UFC Gym. 
 
Coming up with what I hope will be a hard class is....well, hard!  I have boards in Pinterest.  I have watched some TRX videos.  I have pulled from my brain.
 
All in the hope that I give the kind of workout I would want to receive.  That said, the fitness levels of many in attendance are probably lower than my own, yet, I want to keep them progressing and the best way to do that is to get them to push beyond their self-imposed limits!
 
It's a tad difficult to read these members, tho.  At UFC Gym, I knew the crew.  We pushed, we wanted new exercises, we encouraged one another (instructors included).  We were sweaty messes at the end of every class and we LOVED it!  (That has been my hardest loss....)  I have hit the (one) heavy bag for a personal workout and I believe I need to get in there and work out some of my stresses, at least once a week.
 
When leading Power Abs, I am doing the exercises with the members.  When doing TRX, I have been working right alongside the members.  However, when I teach (sub) Power Sculpt and/or Cardio Blast, I will do the warm-up, demonstrate the exercises and do the stretches.  Similarly, when I do Group Training, I am instructing the members on what I want them to do, at times doing a couple reps in demonstration. 
 
One other reason for me to be a "student" of other trainers' classes, so that I can get the fitness results I want & need!
 
So, I am just sharing some personal insecurity here....that I am a bit stressed over making effective & fun workouts.  I want people to want to attend MY class!  I don't want them walking out (which I had happen in an abs class last week:  about mid-way thru, a lady walked out...she said it was because she had eaten late, taken a cardio class before mine, her stomach was a bit "off" and the structure of my class that day was a fast-paced crunchless cardio abs.).  I do believe that many who attend group exercise classes don't like to be challenged or try new things too often ~ they want to work in "traditional" exercise fashion, using a few tried & true movements (but expecting continued results).  It will be interesting to see how my Express Kickboxing classes go for the lunch time crowd! 
 
I will continue to speak with my fellow trainers for tips.  I will take classes to push myself and to learn new techniques.  I will give myself a break and know that I am working hard, always learning, continually improving.  I will step outside of my fitness comfort zone to teach and grow.


2 comments:

  1. Well, you cannot please everyone all the time, however, I guess you have to cater to the level of your students. Omni has 3 levels that describes their classes from beginners (level 1) to advanced (level 3).
    I am so proud of you for pursuing your passion. Hang in there - I know you are a wonderful fitness instructor. Wish I could take your classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could be there, too! Well, just like with LAB, there is no delineation btwn classes. It's one class and you work your hardest....well, in my opinion, you should work your hardest. By all means, take a breather, grab a sip of water, but WORK HARD! I am not really finding that here. I am being motivational, however, as that is how I teach & how I learn! Building blocks, stepping stones, place of learning!!!

      Delete

Search This Blog