Monday, September 15, 2014

Halloween-ing

Last year, after we had been in Longmont a few weeks, I applied at Spirit, a Halloween store, located in the soon-to-be-torn down Twin Peaks mall.  I was quickly called for an interview.  I showed up (in a Halloween-themed tee, no less) and the "manager" told me he was unable to hire at the moment due to an HR snafu.  Hmmmm, I'm thinking, why did you call me for an interview, number one, and why didn't you call to reschedule or cancel said interview, number two?!?  This was a Thursday afternoon, he said he would have it straightened out by Monday and would call me.  As you may guess, he never did!  Long story short, I took the barista job at Starbucks.  And while working there, who walks in but that "manager" ~~ I get out of him that he is no longer working there!!!  I also got a call from a new manager, but I never called him back!!
 
Anyway, for my love of Halloween, I applied to Halloween City, here in Denver, this year.  And, as expected, I got a call.  While they wanted me to be an assistant manager at another location (Aurora), after making the drive there, I immediately decided that no way was I making that drive for $9 an hour!  It would have been great to get management on my resume, but it wasn't worth my gas or time!  So, I asked to be an associate at the closer store in Stapleton.
 
I didn't, yet, have the fitness trainer gig at Matrix when I accepted, but by the time they called to give me my first week's schedule, I had to inform them that my availability had changed, but if they were willing to work around my permanent job and give me no more than 15 hours a week, then we were a go! 
 
I worked one shift last week, on register and watching those lame training videos.  I also froze my ass off!  It was one of the two cold days last week and they left the doors propped open (one set of exit doors is broken and won't close!) and I was stuck trying to work the register with cold hands!  My body was already sore from the previous nite's workout and there I was stiff as a board from the cold!  It was ridiculous!  I was also thirsty, having drank my water bottle, and hungry (both managers were eating and then I was stuck getting off half an hour late!).  I work one shift this week and fully intend to do whatever I want!  Fortunately, the temps will be in the 80's, so I don't have to wear a coat and my fingerless gloves to make it thru!  But when I want a break, I am getting one!!
 
This Halloween City is located in a former Circuit City building, so it's enormous.  Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like Halloween in there!  The ceilings are so high that what merchandise they do have is underwhelming in the space.  And when the hell are they going to play Halloween music?!?  That question is on tap for a manager on Wednesday!  Come on!  People will be even more in the mood to spend if you give them the ambience!!! 
 
This gig is only temporary, of course!  I don't plan to work there the week leading up to Halloween, as I don't want to be forced to work all Halloween nite!  {Besides, I am going back to the job boards to find another trainer gig to coordinate with Matrix and/or a medi-spa part-time job!}  Chris and I can get a 30% discount, but I don't even know if we are displaying much of the Halloween décor we have already own, so it would be silly to buy more.  Tho, there is an animated skeleton cat we both like!  I know we have room to store it in one of our existing totes! 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. LOL - that might be a dangers place for you to work, with your love of Halloween and bargains . . . you might be needing another storage container for the "clearance" deals your will find.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog