Thursday, September 18, 2014

"The Happiness of Pursuit"

"The Happiness of Pursuit" is the title of Chris Guillebeau's newest release.  I am sitting at Tattered Cover Bookstore reading and thinking and strategizing!!!
 
Our move to Colorado was bold!  After a short visit in 2011, we knew what we had been saving for!  We sold our home, got rid of many things, moved into a rental in preparation.  We looked and applied for jobs, to no avail.  We packed up in September 2013 and haven't looked back!
 
I left a career in the criminal justice field, the same for which I have a bachelor's degree.  I felt trapped, stagnant, uninspired.
 
I have embarked on a fitness career.  I have met many new people and made new friends.
 
I am filled with wanderlust....
 
Guillebeau's book has re-awakened that stirring to see new places.  Not a move (yet!!), but a vacation!  Our last vacation, June 2012, to Key West seems a million years ago!  I had gotten used to a vacation or two a year, when we were living comfortably with two decent paying jobs, a small mortgage, etc.  We can still travel, but I plan to be even more frugal when making our arrangements.  We have points on our credit card, which we can use for airfare.  We have our timeshare in Mexico and we haven't traveled back there since the purchase in 2006 or 2008.  (I need to research selling it, actually.  We didn't renew our RCI membership, which offers the ability to trade, and I really don't know if we are going to utilize either.)
 
We have struck out on our new path and we know that before us lie miles of roads, ones which we will consciously choose to travel.

The only question now is:  Where do we want to go?

 "I'd like to repeat the advice that I gave you before, in that I think you really should make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt.  So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future.  The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.  The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." 
Journal entry by Chris McCandless
excerpted from "The Happiness of Pursuit" (pp 84-85)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog