Thursday, February 27, 2014

Paw Tracks Across My Heart & My Life

As many of you know, I am a long-time mama to babies of the furry & four-legged variety.  Beginning WAY back in early 1992 with our ferret, Loki, and later that same year with our first cat, our boy, Caesar.  Seven years later, after losing Loki, Isis was made part of the family.  Then, when we had already decided that we wouldn't acquire any more "kids" Luna appeared on our doorstep, all tiny and cute!!!
 
There are moments when Isis, who loves to lay in the rays of sunshine, will begin to groom herself and I am instantly transported back in time.  Isis was less than a year old and she loved her big brother so much that I think she would imitate him.  The two of them were laying in the sun in our backroom/office in Crown Point.  Isis was learning to groom herself, where she would lick her paw and bring it across her face.  She was so teeny and her head seemed too big for her, so she couldn't get her tiny front leg all the way around her head.  It was so sweet!!  She is 14 now and completely capable of taking care of herself, yet when I catch her cleaning her head & face in that way, I see my little baby goddess!  Isis has become our lap cat and cuddler, something we only had with Caesar.    
 
As Caesar and Isis were growing up together, despite the seven years that separated them in age, they became very close and would often cuddle together, curled up like a scarf & hat.  They would lick one another's heads, too.  Their love & respect for one another was immense.
 
When Caesar was 18, little Luna Pixiedust appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, one hot August afternoon.  Not knowing anything about her, and not wanting to expose Caesar & Isis to any diseases, we didn't bring her in the house.  We would play with her in the backyard.  She would show up on the front steps and hide behind our large planter for some much-needed shade.  We decided to keep her, so she made her first vet trip for shots & de-worming.  Boy, was she more than I could have imagined!!  Remember, Caesar was 18 and Isis was 11...we hadn't had a vivacious kitten over a decade!!!   Let me tell you, Luna worked my nerves to breaking and I did try to leave her at a couple shelters. 
 
But, I truly believe that Caesar brought Luna to us because he knew we (me, Chris AND Isis) were going to need the love and distraction only she could bring.  We, again me, Chris AND Isis, miss Caesar all the time.  (I am crying as I write this....hopefully, the other coffeeshop patrons don't notice.)  Luna has so many of the same personality traits as her big brother, even tho she only knew him for a few months.
 
Luna loves her big sister and she can get Isis to play with her, if Icey is in the mood, that is.  I have even caught Isis licking Luna's head.  Just like Isis helped to keep Caesar active and young, Luna wants to do the same for Isis.  I don't know if these two will develop a bond similar to Isis's with Caesar, but I am hopeful. 
 
Neither girl wants to be held in our arms and carried around like Caesar, but they each allow us to love them in her own way and give us love back 100-fold.
 
I do not know how life would have been without each of these babies over the years.  They keep us on our toes, especially my little pixie.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog