Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Not My Idea of PT!!

I have been forced to work alone, and longer hours, due to a co-worker's sudden illness.  Last Wednesday & Thursday, and this entire week, thus far, I have shouldered all the responsibilities of the optical department.  I had no break either of the days last week, nor this past Monday!!  It's been stressful.  I was already on the fence about keeping the job, but I think this has been an eye opener into how things could go at any given time.  I know she didn't do this on purpose, of course, but she had already called off when her daughter was sick and had to stay home from school and I had only been there a couple of weeks ~ that may have been my sign and I ignored it.  It's not what I want from a PART-time job!!  I want just my 20 hours.  I want to show up, do the job and leave. 
 
I did speak with the optometrist about it yesterday.  I feel that this is a part-time job with full-time responsibilities and expectations and I see it only expanding.  I don't think the doctor has a good grasp of what the optician job already entails (actually, I KNOW he does not...he has no concept how to enter an order into his own computer system, let alone either of the insurance databases or the lab!!!) and he seems to think up new things all the time.  It's pretty ridiculous!!  Let us provide excellent customer service and bring YOU money.  {I sold 2 pair of glasses to a gentleman yesterday, who had insurance, and it was a $1200 sale!  TWO pair of glasses!  No freakin' way would I spend the money I see these patients drop!  WOW!!}  I want to look forward to heading into work; I want to enjoy the time while I am there.  This gig started out that way, sort of, but about every other day something new is thrown at me. 
 
I knew that this was a somewhat backwards move, since optical was in my past.  However, I thought it would be a great fit with the pay and the hours. 
 
This job was simply to fill my time until August and I had really hoped it would work out.  It's pretty well time, tho.  Even Chris says I need to leave as he sees the stress in me.    
 
I feel completely blocked.  My creative juices are dry.  I have personal responsibilities that I haven't been able to address, and some of those are time-sensitive.  Our bottom line is my first priority!
 
Our plan is joy!  My plan is a change of career.
 
So, I may be a free spirit in about a week!  I doubt I will look for any work, but I will let the Universe bring something to me.  Chris has started a new volunteer "job" in Denver at the LGBT center and I think I will see if I can volunteer a couple/few days a week ~ that way, I can ride into Denver with Chris on his work days.  Perhaps it will lead to an actual job, who knows!  That would be a change of career!  We are both looking forward to Denver's Pride Parade and, with this connection, Chris has pretty well secured us direct involvement in the activities!  WooHoo!!
 
Always looking at & for the Silver Linings!  Hope you are doing the same.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog