Monday, January 6, 2014

Steel-cut Oats

In the past I read several health/food blogs where steel-cut oats were highly touted.  I never got around to trying them....that is, until our move!  We are fortunate to have a couple local grocery stores that sell bulk items.  When steel-cut oats were on sale for 49¢ a pound, I got a small bag.  I did mistakenly have a brain freeze and thought I bought Scottish oats, researched how to make them in the crockpot overnite and woke to a disaster!!  Said bag then sat in the cabinet for a bit, tho, as I continued to use my go-to old-fashioned rolled oats. 
 
I decided to give them another try and mixed some in with my regular oats.  What a surprise!  There is a crunchiness to steel-cut oats that I really enjoy!  Now, I will eat them, sans rolled oats, with quinoa and my usual mix-ins of cinnamon, dried cranberries and peanut butter.  I might toss in half a banana, sliced, and/or a scoopful of pumpkin puree.
 
I highly suggest giving them a try.
 
And, now, I must go b/c this post has reminded me that I have, yet, to eat breakfast ~ the most important meal of our day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog