Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Growing Inch by Inch, Foot by Foot, Mile by Mile

So, I took another part-time job this month.  Back in the optical realm, a field I have been out of for over a decade.  This time, I am working at a private practice, rather than a retail store.  There are some differences between the two, the biggest being that I am only responsible for eyeglasses, where in the other jobs I dealt with contacts, appointment scheduling, insurance verification and even pre-testing. 
 
There is a learning curve, to be sure, getting refreshed while also learning all of the new products along with this office's computer systems.  Additionally, the doctor wants the other optician and I to learn how to cut lenses.  Apparently, he had an optician last year who said she had lab experience, so he invested in a machine.  Well, she didn't do a very good job nor did she stick around.  He is now chomping at the bit to get us to use it because it is, right now, simply a money pit.  I intend to take the time I need to get comfortable with ordering glasses and processing insurance benefits before jumping into the completely unknown world of an edger!!!  But, I am looking at the whole experience as an opportunity to learn a new skill and improve my employability!  Again, this gig is only until August, so I will soak up the knowledge while giving my best to the patients. 
 
It is pretty perfect that I found this on Facebook this morning:
 
This year.
I just wanna go on
more adventures.
Be around
good energy.
Connect with people.
Learn new things.
Grow.
 
Yep, my 2014 motto ~ perfectly succinct!


4 comments:

  1. Love to catch up with you through your entries, love you Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! Now I understand your scheduling comment. Enjoy the journey, my friend! NN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx!! It's just a short stop along the way! Gives me something to do and a little pocket money for us to enjoy some excursions!

      Delete

Search This Blog