Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Throwing Down the Gauntlet...or Rather, the Warm Woolen Mitten

I have friends who are pagan, wiccan, atheist, agnostic, Catholic, Jewish, Christian (my BEST friend, the person with whom I spend my life... surprised, aren't you???).
 
I love to send holiday cards.  Ask Chris, it was sort of an addiction.  I would scour the stores and hide the cards I liked in order that I could get them at the day-after Christmas sales!!!  There was no rhyme or reason to my selection.  One year it's a winter scene of penguins, another is vintage-inspired, several have had Santas.  Whatever design spoke to me!! 
 
I (We) no longer participate in the gift-giving extravaganza into which Christmas has fallen.  I won't lie.  We used to give gifts to ourselves, our families, our friends.  Over the years, however, we have made the conscious choice to not be part of the madness. 
 
We like to buy for the less-fortunate.
 
We like to donate to food banks.
 
This year, for the first time, we are spending time in service at a soup kitchen.  (The day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.)
 
It is presumptuous of me to think I know what you & yours celebrate, isn't it?  Or to assume that what I believe, so do/should you.  I may only see or talk to you once between now and the new year.  If I wish a "Happy Holidays", which I will, why should that offend?  I am offering seasonal greetings that cover any and all observances to transpire between now and the coming of the new year!!! 
 
I am disappointed by those who harp on and spread the propaganda that they are no longer ALLOWED to say Merry Christmas.  {Will you be jailed?}  Or that Christ has been taken out of Christmas.
 
To you, I say, let your actions speak louder than your words.  Do you think your God would be complaining about this?  Or do you think, perhaps, he might be practicing the concepts of peace, love, understanding and hope?  Do you think YOU have acted in accordance with your spiritual leader, your religious doctrines?  Don't give lip service ~ that makes you part of the problem, be a part of the solution!   
 
What have you DONE to share the spirit of the season with your fellow human beings?
 
Please don't send me a card with religious iconography and then let me see you brag about the endless toys, gadgets, clothes you gave & received for Christmas. 
 
Please don't tell me that what I believe or what I practice diminishes your holiday observances, traditions or beliefs.  {Why would you give me such power over your life, anyway????}
 
I am a pagan with strong wiccan influence.
 
I will extend peace, love & understanding while spreading the message of hope. 
 
 I will be out ringing the bell for the Salvation Army on Friday, December 20th from 4-6PM outside of the King Soopers on Pace, here in Longmont.  (I can't wait!!!  Antlers and all!)
 
What about you?  Have you given of your time or your wallet this year to others outside of your immediate circle of family & friends? 
 
Look at what you have spent on Christmas gifts and donate half that amount to a charity! 
 
I challenge you to join me!  PLEASE donate to a food bank, a toy drive, a family you know who is struggling!  Lend a hand at a church soup kitchen!  Contact Toys for Tots or the Salvation Army to see if you can help distribute toys or ring the bell for the red kettle drive!
 
There is no monopoly on the "Reason for the Season".
 
Unless, of course, you mean a generosity of spirit that is sown by charitable actions done solely out of peace, love and understanding for a fellow human whose needs far outweigh your wants.

Blessed Be.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I want to give you a Chicken! Seriously, I know you guys have done this for some time now, and taking a page from your book, I want to give out Chicken's this year. There is an Org called Restore International a Christan Group by the author of Love Does (Bob Goff) who I recently saw speak over the course of Two days! Amazing stories!!!! Anyway, here is a link to the Online Holiday Catalog if anyone else wants to give chickens... bricks... and bicycles... etc to a group of Kids in Uganda, Africa.
    http://www.restoreinternational.org/store-index.php
    If you don't want the link on your page I totally understand! Take the comment down! I won't be offended!!!!!! Love you guys and I say Merry Christmas, so Merry Christmas to you both. I wish you all the best, as I know you do for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx, Dan! We have donated thru www.foodforthepoor.org over the years. We have given chicks and trees in honor of family members! I welcome any links for worthwhile organizations! We love the Wittens, too!

      Delete

Search This Blog