Monday, December 9, 2013

On this date in 1979

I was 7 1/2 years old.
 
Late in the nite we received a phone call.
 
My mom began to hyperventilate.
 
I had no idea who was on the other end of the phone or what could possibly have my mom in such a state.
 
I would soon learn...
my mom's youngest brother, Steve, age 15 1/2 was dead.
 
He and several friends were in a car that the driver lost control of on any icy & hilly street.  The driver, also Steve, and my uncle (who was sitting behind the driver) were the only 2 to die. 
 
My uncle's neck was broken.
 
We lived in Indiana, my grandparents & uncle in Ohio.
 
It was an 8-hour drive.
 
We quickly packed and were on our way.  My brother and I probably slept; it seemed like we made it in record time.
 
I remember walking in to my grandparents' house, it was completely dark.  My grandpa was just sitting on the couch.  My grandma was in her bed.  It was so different from all the other visits when we erre greeted with smiles & hugs at our arrival.
 
The "kids" had been at Grandpa & Grandma's house trimming the Christmas tree before they headed out for a bit.
 
I adored my Uncle Steve.
 
I couldn't find any paper, but I did find a small piece of cardboard on which I wrote a short poem.  I wanted it placed in his jacket pocket.
 
My uncle Steve was a beautiful person, inside and out.  He was destined for a fun and fabulous life!  He would have been a star of stage or screen!!!
 
Instead, he became a star in the sky for us all.
 
I know he watches over the family. 
 
My great nephew, Casey Isaac, now shares his birthday, May 22nd, bringing joy back to that day.
 
{Years after the accident, a woman found my grandma to tell her that she ran out to the scene, it was in front of her home, and she held my uncle as he passed.  He hadn't been alone.}
 
Stephen Leslie Sigars
5-22-64 to 12-9-79
Our family's shooting star
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog