Thursday, December 19, 2013

Taking Note

As you well know from previous posts, I LOVE to read!!  It is absolutely and utterly without a doubt one of my favorite pasttimes!  I should have gone into a field where I am paid to read, seriously!
 
While I love to read, I don't possess a lot of books.
Anymore.
 
Books are a bit burdensome during moves, so I have sold a few, donated many.  Books are meant to be read and I certainly do not mind passing them along for another's enjoyment and education.  The few I have kept are very special to me for a variety of reasons.  Right now, and until we are again settled, they are in boxes. 
 
Since I don't like to own too many books, I am a BIG fan of libraries!!  That said, library books must be returned in the condition which you received them.  Meaning, one cannot highlight and write notes in a library book.  Therefore, when I am reading any kind of non-fiction, I scribble plenty of notes on paper.  {I sometimes write things down from fiction, too, if I particularly like a phrase.}
 
I checked out "The Four Agreements" from the library yesterday.  Started it in the afternoon, finished it this morning!  It's a quick read, I promise.  And, boy, did I take notes!!! 
 
I am also in the midst of reading "Women Who Run with the Wolves," which I bought for myself recently.  I have done quite a bit of pink highlighting and underlining in that gem.
 
But I must say that I prefer taking actual notes!  I believe the information sticks with me more when I am spending the time to write down the words that have meaning to me. 
 
I will type my handwritten notes and, eventually, print them out so I can refer to them in the future.  Just as I will review my highlights in the books that are part of The Divine Mrs M's personal library.  So, both efforts culminate in similar results. 
 
And, how about you?  Are you a note taker and a highlighter-er?  If so, are you good about going back at some later date to review and refresh?  I did recently with notes I had taken (and typed) from "The Tao of Womanhood," which I read several years ago, and it was a rewarding experience, filled with reminders and encouragement that I needed at the right time. 
 
Next on my reading list is don Miguel Ruiz's "The Mastery of Love," which appears to be another quick, yet succinct read.  Another couple sessions of reading and feverish note-taking, to be sure!
 
I am always interested in book recommendations, both fiction and non-fiction, please feel free to share some of your favorites in the comments.  And, if you should want any recommendations, you can check my Books to Read board on Pinterest and/or I am happy to respond in the comments.
 
Remember, reading is FUNdamental!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have read each of those books, although quite awhile ago now. I'm going to try to re-read in the coming weeks and maybe we can chat about them. As far as highlighting, notetaking, and so forth: I tend not to do either, although I absolutely should. I'll be in touch, Mrs. M. Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to chat with you about them! I need to buy myself The Tao of Womanhood, so that I can re-read it, as well as highlight along the way. It would be interesting to see if I select the same things as important now as when I read it the first time and took notes!

      Delete

Search This Blog