Monday, November 4, 2013

The Art of Appreciation

You know the old saying about how you need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes to really know them?  By doing so, you will certainly gain a deep sense of appreciation for what goes into that person's day.  You, hopefully, judge less, forgive more.
 
As I have previously written, I was a pretty regular Starbucks customer.  I loved the beverages and, just as much, the cozy & welcoming environment, where I could sit for minutes or hours, reading or chatting with a friend.  I love the smell, wafting out to greet me before I even enter.  Although there is a large drink menu from which to choose, I would stick to a few usual suspects, café misto or mocha or a seasonal latte (mmmmm...pumpkin spice!).  We all know that Starbucks isn't an inexpensive caffeine choice!  But, I am a gold card holder, so I can earn a free drink after 12 and I get a freebie for my birthday!  It's something, right?!? 
 
I wasn't in an exclusive relationship with Starbucks.  I would buy my coffee at many places, often times the Luke gas stations back in Indiana because I could get a huge cup for only $1!   Occasionally, I would go to Dunkin Donuts (but it was hit or miss whether the coffee was good) and
with McDonald's offering any size drink for $1, I would hit their drive thru on my lunch breaks, too. 
 
Back to Starbucks, tho....the baristas were always friendly and seemed to enjoy themselves and that really adds to my interest in wanting to hang out and relax there.  A place that I looked forward to going to get away from the 4 walls (and some of the people) where I was working. 
 
Upon coming to Colorado (our Act II, which I will address in a future post), I needed to find a new job.  I had been applying for full-time office jobs, both before and after leaving Indiana, but wasn't getting any bites.  I figured maybe I should just look for something part-time to fill up my time and to bring in a little money (neither of us had jobs when we left the Midwest).  I first applied at a Halloween store and figured I was a shoe-in, but I guess only young "chippies" were being hired!  Within the same time, I applied online for the various Longmont Starbucks locations.  I was called in less than 24 hours...and the rest, as they say, is history in my previous posts.
 
I spent the first 2 weeks in training with Karey, a woman who was born to work with people in a learning environment!  She has only been working as a barista for a year, but has been training new baristas because it really is her gift.  I am very thankful of my opportunity to meet and work with her!
 
I was then thrown right into the "real" work of a Starbucks barista!  At the same time, the company is putting into practice a new store support system/role (I won't bore you with the details). 
 
Well, I can assure you that, unless you have actually been employed at Starbucks, you have absolutely no idea how much work is completed each & every day...day after day after day after day!
 
The espresso machines are broken down and cleaned; the syrup bottles are rinsed off; the sauce containers are changed; the brewed coffee happens every 8 minutes until noon and then every 30 minutes until closing; the amount of dishes that are washed, rinsed & sanitized would astound you; the pastry case is filled and emptied; whipped creams are made; iced coffee, cold tea concentrates, soy milk pitchers are prepared several times; bathrooms are cleaned; condiment bar is cleaned and restocked; creamers prepared; cups & lids stocked...
 
And then you still have customer service! 
 
Learning how to mark cups based on Starbucks standards, which is then enhanced by all of the intricate "personalization" by customers who want drinks tweaked.  Finding all of the relevant buttons on the register for each & every part of a drink order. 
 
There are hot beverages from the bar, which can also be made iced.  There are blended beverages.  There is brewed coffee.  There is hot tea.  There are the seasonal drinks, which come with their own toppings!!
 
Getting items from the pastry case, some requiring a warming in the oven and finding all of these items on the register. 
 
I did store support for much of my first week.  Every 8 minutes I am brewing a new batch of coffee, filling up the ice at the cold bar, adding espresso beans to the hoppers, restocking cup sleeves, wiping down the counter and the condiment bar, restocking 3 items at the condiment bar, replacing the half & half, then doing one of a dozen "cadence tasks" like cleaning the bathrooms, emptying garbage, etc., replenishing cups, lids, milks, syrups, etc. and then, the 8 minutes are up and I start back at brewing coffee!!!!  In the midst of this "routine," however, I am asked to make a soy pitcher, make iced coffee (how do I do that?!?), make mocha (again, um, how do I do that?), get things ready for a coffee traveler (which is the large coffee to go order) and cleaning up a huge coffee spill at the register!!!  Can you say running around like a chicken with your head cut off??!!
 
I spent little time on the bar.  And let me tell you that following the beverage routine of steaming milk, pulling shots, pumping syrup and replacing "like for like" is far far harder than it sounds...especially when it's a rush!!  I have to think of the type of milk, the number of shots, the number of pumps, which syrups (cuz it isn't caramel syrup in a caramel macchiato...it's vanilla, which is also one less pump than the standard for the cup size!).  Does this drink get whip as a standard...or just foam?  Does it need to be stirred before the foam or whip?  Is there a topping (dolce, salt, pumpkin....)??
 
My lack of bar experience/training was really taking a toll on me.  I wasn't sleeping!  I would get stressed while on the bar and then I was stressing at home, thinking of how to make drinks, rather than getting my necessary shut eye!  Ugh!
 
I thought that asking for a schedule that didn't include opening shifts, or anything before 9, would help.  I am not an early morning person, unless I am heading to the airport for a vacation!!!
 
I was struggling, tho.  I know there are things I was doing well, some okay...but the big thing, making drinks, was escaping me!  How can that be?!?  I am smart and consider myself a quick learner.  And I really like all of my co-workers ~ a rarity for me!  They are all great people and make for a wonderful working atmosphere, something I haven't had the pleasure of since the early years at HIDTA.
 
Chris was offered the job at Johnson & Wales University and this gave me a sense of relief, that the only money coming in wasn't going to be my little part-time income.  I told myself as I drove to work on Saturday that I needed to just have an attitude of fun!  Come on, Jennifer, this is a part-time job...that you don't even need!  Let Go, Relax, Have Fun!  Everyone said that at about the 3-month mark you have an 'aha' moment when it all just clicks!  I arrived early and grabbed the drink cards, so I could review how to make the most common requests (well, at least, the standard from which the custom drinks are built)!  I ended up on bar about halfway thru my shift...and then a rush hit.  Fortunately, my manager took over!  I was put on the bar a second time, with the same results! 
 
On my 10-minute break, I sent a text to Chris to say that I knew I was over it.  That I could not continue to be stressed.  I asked if he thought I should tell the manager after my shift.  He agreed that was best. 
 
I know that my coworkers would give me the ability/information by osmosis, if it were possible.  My manager, Karey and one of my shift supervisors said they thought I was doing so great and know I would "get it".  And while that may be the truth, I can't handle the stress of waiting for MY 'aha' moment!  Even with the allure of a weekly free pound of coffee, free drinks on shift days (tho I never really took advantage of this perk...get it, perk = coffee??!!) and a 30% discount.  My mental health can't be compromised by the promise of unlimited caffeine. 
 
 
I don't want to create a negative environment for my coworkers, my manager, the store and the customers.  It's only going to get busier as the holidays approach.  I want the customers to continue to have the level of service they expect and have received at this location.  I want them to leave feeling joy.  The same joy I have always looked forward to from my visits. 

Tonite is my last shift.
 
I have gained the Art of Appreciation for baristas! 
 
I understand tipping.  I did tip the barista a couple weeks ago at The Stanley Hotel for our café au laits and those at the Tattered Cover for just brewed coffees.  I had NEVER tipped before!   
 
....to those individuals who have crazy drink requests ~ you really SHOULD pony up an extra buck or two into the tip jar!!
 
Now, I will again simply be the customer, enjoying the Starbucks experience...one cup at a time. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog