Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm Dreaming of a Quiet Thanksgiving

Well, not dreaming, exactly!  But we will be having an intimate dinner for 2!  Like a belated anniversary celebration, really!
 
It's not the first time we will be eating alone for a holiday, nor will it be the last.  I do like planning and cooking the entire meal, tho.  We can eat exactly what we want, made exactly the way we want.  We can try new recipes...who am I kidding...that's never stopped me when we have gone to a family dinner ~~ as a matter of fact, I often throw in some new recipe on them as my guinea pigs!!! 
 
This year, we don't yet know what main dish we are preparing (a whole chicken, a pork roast, a ham), but we do know the sides that each of us want to try.  I am making green beans with bacon & cranberries, plus my tried & true walnut cranberry marmalade!  Chris is trying his hand at two Barefoot Contessa recipes in my Good Housekeeping magazine:  her stuffing and mashed potatoes.  (Truth be told, Chris makes AMAZING mashed potatoes of his own!!) 
 
For "breakfast" and dessert, we are making these little pumpkin pies from  a recipe that came across Facebook.  They are made in a muffin tin...so that's why I am making them early and we can eat them twice that day! 
 
We have several bottles of wine on hand, plus coffee & tea. 
 
We wanted to be volunteers to serve food on Thanksgiving day, but I didn't get with the organization early enough and they were full.  But, I did volunteer us to serve lunch the next day at the organization's hospitality center (where breakfast & lunch are served daily).  I haven't heard anything, tho, which is a bit disappointing.  (I did also volunteer us for Christmas Eve, so let's hope we get contacted for something!!)
 
As we are not holiday gift givers, we will not be out & about for the Thanksgiving day shopping and Black Friday madness.  For us, this is a 4-day weekend (for Chris this year, since I am on a short sabbatical anyway!) and the time we usually get our Christmas decorating done.  It will be fun to see what we still have (we got rid of many things over the past 2 years, as we were shedding some extra & unneeded weight in preparation for the move west) and where it will go in the new digs. 
 
I am thankful for my health, having "enough", celebrating my 21st anniversary with my honey, having the ability to make our huge move/leap of faith/change of direction/next adventure and knowing that I have family & friends across the country (and the world as my cousin, KAML, is still in Iraq for about a month) who are alive this day and are gathering with their loved ones to eat, drink & make memories.
 
Wishing all of you a thanksgiving holiday abundant with blessings and gratefulness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog