Thursday, November 7, 2013

Just Breathe

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is 3 weeks from today?!  Whoa! 2013 is one of the fastest years I can recall!  You??
 
The holidays are fast approaching.  Stores have been putting out Christmas items since well before Halloween!! 
 
Soon, we are going to be smack dab in the hustle and bustle.  I know many people love this time of year, for a variety of reasons.  Some like to have a (or yet another) reason to shop.  Others like the warm feeling created from the decorations and music.  Still others look forward to baking and family time. 
 
As my readers, you should well know that my favorite time of year is fall and my favorite holiday, Halloween.  However, I am not immune to the joy that the winter holidays bring.  I observe the solstice and am a big proponent of sending holiday cards.  Yep, I said holiday cards!  I wish "Happy Holidays" to all!!  This time of year encompasses so many traditions, it is rude to think otherwise.  
 
It is also very easy to fall prey to the stress that this time can bring, too.  Which makes it very important to slow down, look around, take in the sights, the sounds, the people.  As far as I am concerned, THAT is what the holidays should be about...not gifts.
 
I won't get on my soap box (well, not this early in the season), but rather I want to offer some advice:  Take time for daily indulgences if/when you start to feel overwhelmed.  I once wrote a list of things that I continue to carry in my yearly calendar.  It is so worn, that both pages are torn in half, so that now I have 4 small pages!!! 
 
I offer a few suggestions, but strongly encourage you to come up with some specific to you (and welcome you to share them in the comments, too):
 
~Call a friend
~Exercise!!!
~Write a letter of gratitude
~Read
~Donate to a charity
~Try a new wine, beer, ice cream...
~Watch your favorite movie (you know, the one where you know every word!)
~Go see Christmas lights
~Attend a holiday concert (universities often have excellent ones)
~Treat yourself to that special coffee drink
~Bake your favorite treats
~Volunteer
 
 
Just remember to take a break, to breathe, to be present in the moment.
 
THEN, you can jump back in the craziness! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog