Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pumpkin & Chicken Enchiladas

I know you are asking yourself, "Did I read that right?  Enchiladas with PUMPKIN??!!"
 
And I say, "YES!"
 
While reading one of my favorite blogs, The Cavender Diary, what do I see but one of my favorite all-time (not just Fall time) things in the title of a post: Pumpkin!  Therefore, I must read.  (Truth be told, I would have read the post anyway cuz I just love these guys!!  You should check them out!)
 
I give the recipe a quick perusal and it sounds enticing, plus I just so happened to have taken out some frozen chicken breasts the nite before to thaw and didn't, yet, know what I was going to transform them into for dinner!!
 
I add a few ingredients to my grocery shopping list and head to our local Save-a-Lot store that is primarily stocked with Hispanic food items (lucky us, right!), to include 2 lbs of fresh tortillas for only $1.59.
 
I followed the super-easy recipe from memory, but made a few tweaks based on my ingredients.  My modifications were:
~I didn't need to buy a roaster chicken;
~I seasoned my chicken breasts with Adobo with Pepper before roasting;
~I thought we still had some Chipotle Pumpkin salsa (from Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill line), so I didn't get any jalapeno...but I was wrong;
~I added cumin and a dash more Adobo to my pumpkin in place of the chili powder;
~I also added a small amount of flaked red pepper to the pumpkin as I didn't have the heat of the salsa or jalapenos wrapped in the tortillas.
 
We had side salads of green-leaf lettuce, celery, carrots and tomatoes.  What a delicious and nutritious meal!  And quick to make! 
 
And those of you who know me know my love, love, love of all things pumpkin, so I was thrilled to have a new way to fix it!  I will definitely be adding this to my handy-dandy cookbook!  I hope you will give it a try, too.  And don't forget to "make it your own" based on your & your families tastes! 
 
Let me know how you like it!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog