Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekend Roundup



FINALLY...we enjoyed a bonfire!

We made a point of heading straight outside for a fire after returning from errands yesterday afternoon.  The temps were in the mid 50's all weekend and the skies were clear & sunny ~~ perfect for a daytime bonfire!

While stoking the flames and basking in the heat, we enjoyed some meat sticks with cheddar cheese, Angry Orchard ciders and riesling wine.  

The smell on my sweatshirt lingered all nite!  One of my favorite scents!!! 

But I am getting ahead of myself...

Chris finished hanging the garland on the deck railing and added white lights. 

We had our second lunch guests over on Saturday, Chris's parents.  It was also the first time Chris used the built-in gas grill.  We enjoyed turkey burgers, brats, veggies with hummus, chips and spinach salad.  While we made some fresh iced green tea, beverages enjoyed were Angry Orchard and riesling.  My in-laws brought the salad, as well as Moscato d'Asti (which we may drink this weekend to celebrate our 20th!!).  They also brought a box of 48 petite cheesecakes, which Chris insisted they take back to be used at their Thanksgiving dinner.

We practically ran out of the house after they left, however, b/c Starbucks was offering 2 for 1 Holiday drinks from 2P-5P and it was almost 4!!  I got a Gingerbread Latte and Chris a Caramel Brulee Latte ~~ and we splurged for the venti!!  With caffeine and sugar in hand, we headed to our local mall where I needed to get my 6-month jewelry inspection.  I did try on some rings, but decided that I already have more than enough jewelry and there are other things (like a new purse) that I do need and would rather spend the money on.  We strolled our favorite stores and I looked in others for a purse, but we came home empty handed.

Chris was practically devastated last Sunday when I forgot that he wanted to go out for breakfast!  So.....I made sure he knew we were going on Sunday and that it was HIS choice of where.  He picks a truckstop restaurant!!!!!  The Country Pride Restaurant at the Travel Center was our newest gastronimical adventure!  Verdict: we really liked it!  It was clean, the server was very friendly, the food was served quick and was super delish.  Chris got eggs, biscuits & sausage gravy ~~ he said it was better and more flavorful than Cracker Barrel!  The biscuits were crispy and the sausage gravy peppery!  I had french toast, eggs and bacon.  My french toast was crispy and cinnamon-y and the bacon was thick and the perfect amount of crunchy!  The biggest surprise was our server asking if we wanted coffee to go!  Um, sure!!!  We will make a return appearance!  The only negative, and it is surprising, the breakfast menu is small. 

We drove up to New Buffalo, Michigan, yesterday to hit Warner Vineyards' tasting room to buy some Holiberry wine and, maybe, do some sampling.  Unfortunately, they may only be open on Saturdays (or they weren't opening until 3 and it was noon)!  Total bummer!  But the drive along US 12 is serene and scenic, so we weren't devastated.  We turned around to head back to our 2nd destination, Lighthouse Mall in Michigan City.  It was an ideal day for an outdoor shopping trip.  Like our local mall, we have several go-to stores, plus we went to others where I could look at boots and purses.  With our coupon booklet in hand, I got a new purse at Wilson's Leather (one I had seen in our mall, but the last one wasn't in a condition I found acceptable) and we both got new wallets. 


We also stopped at Le Gourmet (where we get to sample dips) and Harry & David's.  Bought some treats for our Thanksgiving hosts, as well as some tea and a snack bag (some wasabi tinted grub ~~ too hot for me) for Chris...also with a discount from our coupon booklet!  Woot!!  It was pretty quiet at the mall, which we loved!!   They do a crazy midnite Black Friday thing....so you know the ridiculous die-hard "I have to spend, spend, spend" folks are just chomping at the bit, lying in wait for the after Thanksgiving lunacy!!!  We made a quick trip to a local butcher, who is super generous in his samplings, where we bought some meat sticks before heading back on the leisurely drive home.

It was both a relaxing and productive weekend. 

We only work 2 days this week.  Chris is off for the holiday beginning Wednesday and I am taking off Wednesday to begin the weekend.  We have our spa appointments Wednesday afternoon!  Oh, how I cannot wait for a facial!!!  And I just know that Chris will be in heaven during his massage.  The beginning of our 20th anniversary weekend...not too shabby!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog