Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Eats


So, we spend Thanksgiving at my aunt's.  I lived with her & my uncle (from whom she is divorced) and my 2 younger cousins for 5 years, beginning in high school, until moving in with Chris.  She has a hodge-podge of guests, to include old family friends of her mom (who joined us until she passed last year), her sister & husband, sometimes another of my aunts and her husband, sometimes my cousins (tho not this year b/c neither live here or near), other cousins if they are in town and us.  It's a tight squeeze in her place, but it is always full of love and delicious food!

We always bring a couple of dishes to the gatherings and this year will be no exception.  Of the three dishes we are bringing, only one will be a new recipe.


 


This is the new recipe.  It is from Diabetic Living and includes sweet potatoes, pecans and lots of yummy fall seasonings!  I love the sweet potatoes topped with the crispy marshmallows, but like to do the non-traditional, somewhat healthier version. 

I also make a Cranberry Walnut Marmalade (it might be an Eating Well recipe)!!  It is so yummy ~~ well, Chris & I think so and it has done well the other couple/few times I have taken it to the holiday dinners.  There are fresh cranberries, dried cherries, walnuts, sweet wine, orange zest.  It tastes great alone as a side, on rolls, with mashed potatoes, with turkey or ham.  You can't lose! 

It is far supreme to the canned, jellied cranberry "sauce"!  And what is the deal there: there are canned whole cranberries ~~ get those if you simply MUST have the can!

For a "dessert", I am making a Pumpkin Cranberry Bread that I tried my hand at last month, I think. 

All three are dishes we will be happy to have leftovers to take back home!  And all have healthy & nutritious elements to them!  With the most important ingredient being....
LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog