Tuesday, March 3, 2015

2015 ~ Chapter Two, February

So, here we are into the third month of this year!  Are you still keeping up with creating your chapters?  February is Chris's birthday month!  We celebrated with brunch at one of our favorite downtown spots, the Irish Snug.  Bottomless mimosas for $9 (on weekends)!!  We both had a waffle entrée....MMmmmm!!!  We also went out that nite to be part of the entourage of a Latina singer from Ft. Wayne, Indiana (of all places)!  Chris has a cousin, who I met for the first time that nite, who is managing this singer, Amanda Perez.  She was performing in Colorado over the weekend and Denver fell on Valentine's Day, Chris's birthday!  After the show, we helped with the VIP and the photo ops and the signings and then we all went to some hole-in-the-wall Mexican spot on Federal to grab tacos/burritos.  When we got home, I tore into mine and gobbled up half!  So good!  We are going to have to head back that way, in daylight, for more steak tacos!  I kid you not!  I am really craving it!!! 
 
What else for February???  We got hit with quite a bit of snow and I posted about how we went out one evening and walked to City Park.  We both got new tattoos on the 1st!  Chris a raven on his left forearm and me a siren (mermaid) on my left side/ribcage. 
 
That same week, we went to a concert at the Colorado Symphony.  It was "Danny Elfman's Music from Tim Burton's Films".  This was Chris's early birthday gift!  We went out for appetizers and drinks at Russell's Smokehouse before the show.  Unfortunately, we thought Danny Elfman would be there, so we bought expensive tickets, up close!  Oh well!  Live & learn!  The concert hall is beautiful and now we know where good seats, for less, are located!  The symphony performance took me away, almost an out-of-body experience.  For much of the performance, images from the movies were shown on large screens, so you were watching that and hearing the beautiful instrumentals. 
 
Continuing in our spirit of community and volunteerism, Chris was a volunteer for a big LGBT conference, Creating Change, which was held this year in Denver. 
 
We attended a talk about travel tips held up in Longmont at Fit Chick Express.  We were, of course, already mulling over our vacation plans, but it certainly helped stoke the fire of my wanderlust! 
 
I met up with a few friends in Longmont one morning/early afternoon.  Enjoyed coffee & talk with my friend, Paula, with whom I worked at Vision Source (about this time last year).  Then I met with Dawna and Amy for sushi.  They all fill my cup to overflowing with their love, support and friendship.  It helps fill up my tank and get me revved up! 
 
We went out Saturday nite to watch a burlesque and drag show.  Our friends, Dan & Ted, joined us...for the first half.  We then joined back up with them at the bar after the show.  The burlesque performers are amateur, so the show was okay.  However, one of the performers is a girl I worked with at Halloween City!!!  She did her first show the week before Halloween.  She stopped by our table to say hello!  I told her she looked very comfortable and she said it is the most fun thing she has ever done!  WOW!  And burlesque takes a ton of courage!!!  So, it was just good to support local talent. 
 
After only a few hours of sleep, we took ourselves for breakfast at Denver Biscuit Co.  We each tried a new biscuit option:  me, the pulled pork, called the Elmer (I think!!) and Chris, the DBC Club, which included fried chicken & bacon!  While we didn't share (tho we each offered), both are super delicious!  Thus far, we have had the Franklin, the Dahlia, the Elmer and the DBC.  Along with good, self-serve coffee! 
 
Vacation plans are coming along!  We have our bio bay tour scheduled, our 2 nites on Vieques reserved. as well as our 2 nites in Old San Juan.  I am still waiting to hear back from a place on the northwest side for the first 3 nites; it's a cabin in a jungle, which is only walking distance to the beach!!  It will be somewhat reminiscent of Ogden Dunes!!!  Our tiny cottage on Vieques is walking distance to the Malecon with shops, restaurants, bars and the beach, too!!  The apartment in Old San Juan is located in a Spanish architecture building and we should be able to walk around to restaurants, bars, etc.  I need to reserve our rental car and buy a hard copy map for all of the driving we will do.  I also want to take our GPS (I need to put it in my car to get it updated), so we can cover as many of our bases as possible....I hear driving can be a bit hairy there!! 
 
I have to complete our taxes before we leave!  Ugh!! 
 
I'm also getting back into reading about health and wellness and longevity.  How aging doesn't have to be about decay, but can be all about growth!  I have been reading a book at Tattered Cover called "Younger Next Year" and it has me inspired to start my wellness website!  I just got Dr. Christiane Northrup's "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom", which is the size of a dictionary!  And I am awaiting the delivery of her newest book, "Goddesses Never Age".  Yes, she uses the word "goddess" in her book!  Can you believe it?!  Awesome!
 
In addition to my personal writings here, I am sharing workouts on www.womenlivefit.com.  This website is for the women who can't attend Fit Chick Express, mostly because they don't live in or near Longmont, but want to live a healthy and active life.  Angie, the owner of Fit Chick Express, created the site and asked if I would contribute.  I need to work on some health and nutrition blog posts to share, which I will initially write here and share there. 
 
I have plenty of things rolling around my brain!  Sometimes, it seems, too many!  So I just need to get better at juggling and scheduling time for working each creative outlet!  
 
I have two great aunts who have suffered some serious health issues.  One, diagnosed with COPD, has been hospitalized back home, but is doing better by leaps & bounds, thanks to physical therapy!  The other, who has been in a nursing home for many years, also in Indiana, suffering from Parkinson's disease, primarily, is soon going to join her husband, her sisters (one of which is my grandma), my dad and many others of our large family who have died.  The family, her kids, my older cousins, have brought Hospice in to help, which immediately takes me back to my dad's final week.  I have been struggling with sadness, a full month ahead of the 13th anniversary of his death.
 
And, while writing this post, I received a message that my aunt has passed.  She went peacefully and now she can be with her husband.   Teresa Grimmer Rector 3-28-26 to 3-3-15.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog