Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Up One Side, Down the Other

Back at the beginning of February, while running in City Park one morning, I injured my hips.  I don't know why or how, as I hadn't done anything different from any previous jogs.  Maybe because it was a bit cool, my body just wasn't interested!  However, I did exactly opposite of what I would have told anyone else...I kept pushing.  The pain started almost immediately, but I thought I would work it out.  I slowed my pace considerably, I alternated with walking and I also did walking lunges.  I did my planned three laps around the lake. 
 
I then paid for it, dearly!  The rest of that day, it was so painful to walk.  I felt decrepit!  But I hid it from Chris, so that I didn't have to hear him tsk-tsk me about it.  Walking was painful for many weeks thereafter, actually.  I haven't been back out to run, as I continue to heal up.  I can tell my hips are still holding on to something because if I sit too long, they ache when I get up to walk. 
 
I have been meditating on them, as well as soreness in my shoulders, bringing my mind-body connection to the forefront of my healing process.  I like to focus on each of my chakras and then concentrate on my areas that need extra special, healing, attention.  I have also been more conscious of morning stretching, which I like to do just before or just after my quick meditation. 
 
Since I don't want to lose my cardio, but I don't yet want to jog or run, I have been doing walking incline intervals on the treadmill at the gym.  I keep the steady pace of 3.5 and set the incline at 6%.  Every three minutes I increase the incline (also) by three, peaking at 15%.  I then go back down the hill the same way, 3% decline every 3 minutes, to 6%.  I stay at 6 incline a minute or two longer, then decrease both my speed and incline (.5) for a cool-down.  I finish with stretching, off the treadmill.
 
I teach Cardio Kickboxing, but sometimes it just isn't enough of a challenge for me, so I need to find new ways to keep my fitness in check.  Which means, I need to get back to the bag for a good 20-minute solo workout!  That will also do the trick!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog