Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pass the Protein, Please!

Taking even more stock of my health is bringing me to a point where I believe I am going to have to try the Paleo style of eating.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I believe some rashes I have are directly connected to that and the foods I am eating.  The rash isn't itchy or painful, just ugly.  It's in my inner elbows and around my armpits.  It's not new, but I decided to research it because applying cortisone cream doesn't do a thing. 
 
In my research, I have come across many postings that gluten and leaky-gut are issues connected to Hashimoto's.  I have also read that soy, corn, dairy and sugar are other culprits. 
 
Dairy is a contributor to acne, which is why I chose to take it out of my diet years ago.  We stopped drinking cow's milk (sure do miss my skim) and I have tried to avoid any food products.  However, I will add half & half to my coffee when I am out.  I also LOVE Greek yogurt, particularly Fage, and cheese, but I know to limit myself. 
 
My previous post was about my monthly cookie addiction, so we all know that I eat sugar! 
 
I will use soy milk in my coffee occasionally, but we moved from soy milk to almond milk a number of years ago, due to soy's negative interaction with hormones. 
 
Corn, well, it's in almost everything these days!!!  And who doesn't like a corn tortilla or tortilla chips, for that matter!?!

I will have to forgo my all-time favorite food, pizza!  I know, I know, I can make it with gluten-free crust...and I guess no cheese (???).  It just won't be the same.  I would eat pizza everyday, if I let myself! 

I will have to search for gluten-free craft beers.  I know that ciders are gluten-free, but I love to try a porter or a stout!

When we are on vacation, I might have to be creative or just go with it.  I'm not going to get all caught up in what I can or cannot eat, thereby getting hungry and grouchy and, thus, having a bad time.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

And I know that I have been eating many of these food sources recently:  beer, corn tortillas and chips at a Mexican restaurant, half & half, SUGAR(!) and another beloved, my steel-cut oats. 
 
It's not going to be easy, that's for damn sure!

But I am SO lucky to have a husband who will roll with the punches and pretty much eat anything I prepare.  We are healthy eaters, at least 80% of the time, but now we will be more diligent and dedicated.  It will be a health boon for us both.  And the clean eating is going to melt off the fat (just like when we did "Body for Life" for 6 weeks back in 2001!)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog