Tuesday, August 13, 2013

One Last Walk Around the Midway

This past Saturday evening, we made, what will most likely be, our final trip to THE Lake County Fair. 

I wanted to go back at nite to see the rides all aglow!!

I also wanted to get the Red Velvet funnel cake that had eluded me the Saturday prior.  HA!  (Which, I must add, wasn't great!  I would have regretted NOT getting it more than the actual disappointment it brought me...and the slight stomach ache I had into the wee hours from it!!) 

We enjoyed our evening (made all the better with another round of free entry and parking!!) with another day of perfect weather!  We couldn't have ordered this stuff if we tried! 

Chris brought his camera this time, so we will have some pretty cool pics as reminders of this important tradition and place that holds a very special place in our lives, both as kids and as a couple.

I'll admit, here and now, that, yes, I did tear up as we were walking back to our car!  It's the closing of a chapter, so it was hard for me to think that we won't be back next year, as usual! 

We took advantage of the knowledge that we might not be back and we savored all of our "normal" rituals while throwing in a few new things for good measure!  We ate 2 for 1 sandwiches, rather than another corndog.  We petted the goats outside the petting zoo.  We got coffee ~~ which is SOOOO weird for August in Northwest Indiana!  We watched more horse shows.  We even spent another 50¢ on our mouse game b/c we simply can't be there and not play, even if we don't really want another stuffed animal!!  (Even after winning the first day, I think on Chris's 50¢, I still played my whole dollar!  It's a small vice!)

My heart will be slightly tugged this time next year, especially of some friends on Facebook make posts.  But I know there is so much in Colorado for us to experience and we will be busy making new discoveries and new traditions. 

And we have pictures....and Big Dolores!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog