Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Our Baby's Injury

On Sunday, June 23rd, after a quick grocery store run, we came home to find Luna had injured her right foot.  The poor thing was hiding in the corner of the loft.  We determined that her paw was damp from something and then Chris discovered it was VERY swollen.

When we were able to get a better look, we saw a cut on her paw, along with the swelling.  And, she couldn't/wouldn't put much pressure on it when she did walk. 

She didn't want to be on the main floor, even when we took the ladder to the loft down she just paced, so we let her walk up and down at her leisure, so long as she would rest.

We found one of our bedroom tables turned over, so we know she got her injury there.  We just don't know if her foot got stuck in the weave or if it fell on her.  Even Isis was acting differently, as if she was feeling guilty.  We suspect we had 2 little monkeys horsing around on the bed, most likely the headboard, and one little monkey got hurt!

I didn't get much rest that nite b/c I was concerned about her comings & goings, so I did spend about an hour sleeping with her.

Chris took her to the vet first thing Monday morning and an x-ray revealed her pinkie was broken.  So, she got a splint, an antibiotic shot (for the cut) and was sent home with a week's supply of pain reliever.  We were to bring her back in a week for a checkup.

Once back home, Chris took the ladder to the loft down as Luna is completely grounded for the 4 weeks (yes, 4 loooooong weeks) of the splint! 

The following Sunday, we again return home and find that she has messed with the splint to the point where it isn't even walkable and have to hold her down to cut it off!

Rather than taking her to the vet after work for her checkup, as I had planned, I had to take her first thing Monday morning for a new splint!  Sheesh!

This one was put on and secured higher up on her leg/shoulder.  I guess to try to avoid her getting it off again.  She isn't walking with it nearly as well.  Pretty much using her other 3 legs to get her where she needs to go.  But she is mostly laying around.  I think my baby is a bit depressed.  (Sad face here.....)

I believe this morning she was eyeing the loft and crying a bit to say she wanted up there, but we aren't giving in.  While she may manage getting up the ladder, I don't see how she could come down and we don't need any more broken bones, or other injuries!

(These 2 cats have cost us too many thousands of dollars in the past few months, what with Isis's iodine treatment followed by a urinary tract infection and now this!!!)

I wish I could bring Luna to work with me.  Even if she was just going to lay in the chair or on the floor, I would love to have her here with me, so I can love up on her and help her thru this difficult time. 

She was always bouncing around, anxiously awaiting each of our arrival's home, playing with her bell in the middle of the nite (when we have forgotten to put it on the shelf)...and I cannot wait to have my sleep interrupted for that sound and not the sound of the splint as she drags it across the ceramic tile.

I can't wait to again see my Lula Bean's face, waiting for me at the top of the stairs when I get home from my day.  Or bringing "String" or "Bell" (her 2 favorite toys) to one of us to play with her!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog