Wednesday, July 3, 2013

One of Life's Milestones

Last year I turned 40.  During my annual gynecological exam in August, my nurse practitioner reminded me that it was time for my first mammogram!  I received the order at the end of my appointment. 

I am still holding on to that order (well, I should be...I need to locate it)!!

I need to clarify one thing here, it's not just that I have been nervous ~my boobs are gonna be squished, for goodness sake~ but there was also a snafu with our insurance and my usual health care providers (I am dealing with billing issues for appointments in December last year and January this year).  But with our move getting closer and quitting our jobs right around the corner, I need to use my insurance benefit now. 

That said, I called for an appointment yesterday.  I am scheduled for next Wednesday (July 10th) at 11AM.

I am still nervous!  Which seems rather silly considering I have SIX tattoos!  I know pain!  I choose pain! 

On my drive to work this morning, mammogram on my mind, I remembered that for my mom's 40th birthday, we gifted her her first (& as it would turn out, thus far, her only) mammogram.  Where did the time go???  That was 1996!!  How could I be due...and now late...for this 40th milestone???

Can I admit I sorta wish my mom was here & not all the way in Florida, so she could talk me thru it, hold my hand, give me pain relievers after???? 

But, like so many milestones I have met and the rest that lay ahead for me, I will do this one by myself, without her. 

{She hasn't been a fan of any of my tattoos, either!  Not that she has any room to talk b/c she has 2 herself!}




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog