Sunday, August 31, 2014

I Miss Sleep

Right now, we are feeling as if choosing this apartment was one of the worst mistakes we have ever made!  The upstairs tenant, who I have come to call Golem, is extremely inconsiderate when it comes to respecting noise levels.  We have had to listen to him at 2/2:30 AM stumble around, leave his apartment (letting the door shut loudly), exiting the building & letting the door slam closed...then he does the reverse when he returns, presumably from taking out his freakin' dog!!!  He also listens to his bedroom television at surround sound-levels!  I ran into him Friday morning when taking Hushpuppy out for a walk.  He came up with his dog and I mentioned something about him (the dog) being what wakes us up at 2:30 every morning!  Then, last nite, well after the 10P quiet hour, I was woken up from sleep by the sound of explosions, bass-thumping music and dialogue from whatever shit TV program or movie he was watching!! 
 
Also...the new neighbor across the hall, a single female, was having a party and when it came time for her guests to leave, they decided to stand in the hallway to have lengthy discussions!  There is no sound-proofing in these buildings or apartments.  Our bedroom is right by our front door...essentially, they were standing in the hall right outside our room.  Again, after quiet hours!! 
 
I don't know how anyone could have lived below Golem without complaint, unless he/she worked midnights or were the heaviest sleeper on earth (lucky on either account in this situation).
 
I was going to knock on Golem's door to ask him to turn down the TV, and even went up there, but when I got to his door it almost sounded as if it was quieted.  However, when I returned to our bedroom, I found that not to be the case. 
 
I tried plugging my ears with my fingers.  Putting one ear on my pillow and covering the other (exposed) with a second pillow.  Neither worked.  The damn bass just thumped, thumped, thumped! 
 
Eventually, Chris went up there and knocked...THREE times and he didn't answer!  Either he couldn't hear because of the damn TV or he refused to answer!  Neither bodes well for him! 
 
I went to lay in one of our living room chairs, where I didn't really sleep, but lay there.  I returned to our bedroom at 5, but again it was just laying there with no rest.
 
Chris intends to speak with him when he knows he is again home.  Also, he is sending a detailed email to the property manager to explain our particular issues and to ask that he distribute something to all tenants with a reminder of what the quiet hours are and what they mean.
 
We definitely know that this is a 1-year living arrangement now!  We will begin a new search around mid-February and this time for a purchase.  Be it a condo or home, something that fits many of our must-haves and affords us the peace & quiet we have come to enjoy and crave.
 
We used to get up at 4:45 in Longmont.  Now we struggle to get up at Chris's alarm on workdays (5:30 or 6) and around 7 on weekends!  I used to workout at 6A and now I just don't feel like putting on my workout clothes to even go for a run!! 
 
I am in such a funk, I almost can't stand myself!  I told Chris today that I want to get rid of every piece of my clothing!  I am so out of sorts, I have a hard time even knowing what "in sorts" would even be anymore!  We are trying to eat healthy, our norm, and I know that will help to bring stability.  I will begin a part-time job next week (something seasonal) and that should help bring some routine, around which I can craft other things (workouts, grocery runs, cleaning).  While it won't be much money, it will be something to feel I am contributing again and, hopefully, providing some cushion for the things we are doing.  I feel lost without my gym (again) and without the friends I had made (also, again).  I knew this would happen and I believe that it is all being compounded by the inability to sleep.
 
I was reading one of the articles from a blog to which I subscribe and it helped to bring me a reminder to look for the good in anything, the everyday miracles!  Today, I am healthy enough to run a 5K around City Park with my husband.  Today, I saw beautiful (& new) views of the Rocky Mountains both during my run and while out on errands.  Today, I was able to secure part-time employment at Halloween City, where I will get to interact with others who share my love of this holiday.  Today, we will go to a barbecue with new friends, whom we spontaneously met at the last Happy Hour at The Center.
 
I know that I have many things for which to be grateful and I know to look for the beauty in my daily life.  I know there are things over which I have no control and I need to let those go and wait for the divine to take care of them for me, in its time and for my best.  I know that I need to breathe and focus on what builds me up, makes me grow, enriches my soul, brings me laughter & enjoyment and adds to our experience here in the city.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sounds rough. I hope it all settles down soon. I also hope the property manager takes his job seriously and deals with the noise problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last nite was FAR better! I don't know if Golem didn't have anything good to watch, so he kept the tv at normal volume or what! And the SWF next door may have been out with her buddies. I took 2 melatonin after returning from a fantastic BBQ with new friends and we left the bedroom window open even tho we knew we would hear comings & goings into the courtyard. I believe all of those things, combined with my complete & utter exhaustion, helped me to actually sleep! Thank goodness!!!

      Delete

Search This Blog