Wednesday, July 23, 2014

7 Days in the Blink of an Eye

My mom and I flew back to Florida together on July 8th.  Chris dropped us off before he went to work and we enjoyed breakfast (and, me, a coffee) at DIA.  Our flight was on time & uneventful; thankfully!!
 
As is often the case, when I visit Florida it isn't the type of beach-y vacay that most enjoy.  My sole purpose is visiting all of my family:  Mom, brother, sisters, grandparents, aunt, nieces & nephews and great-nephew.  My days are populated with visits, at least one per family member, if I'm lucky.
 
This visit, because of my mom, I was lucky!  The days flew by and can be a bit blurry in retrospect, but I know that I was able to spend precious and priceless time with family, the young, the old and the in-betweens!
 
My youngest sister, Shannon, and her daughter, Shyla, picked us up at the airport.  I was a surprise for Shy!  She knew her grandma was coming home...and had her eyes on my mom the moment she spotted her!  I was a bit unrecognizable with my short, blonde 'do!  Even Shy asked Shan why Aunt Jennie always changes her hair!  Shan basically told her that it's my thing!  :)
 
We spent part of the evening at my brother's, eating pizza, meeting my newest nephew, Lucas, and getting to know Ryan's 1 1/2 year old, Evan, who was only a few months old when I last (& first) saw him.  My sister, Kelley, joined us along with her mini-me, Kennedy, and hubby, Cody.  Evan and Kennedy didn't know me, and Evan never really warmed up (but I hear he is his daddy's boy), but Kennedy started to let me in a bit.
 
I spent part of Wednesday afternoon with my grandparents, who picked me up from my mom's on their way home from the hospital where they have been volunteering for close to 20 years!!  My mom swung by after work and we went to pick up Shyla...so she could show her Aunt Jennie her new school.  And she was also very excited to show me the beautiful dress she picked out to wear! 
 
After dinner at my grandparents', Mom, Shyla  and I headed home to meet Kelley & Kennedy.  Mom & I were having the two girls for a sleep-over Wednesday nite!  I thought Shy was going to sleep with me, in Shan's old bed, but she is so used to sleeping in my mom's room that she quickly left me saying she needed to brush her teeth.  Shy slept with grandma, while Kennedy slept in Shy's "old" bed, also in my mom's room.  Apparently, I was wiped out because my mom was up around 3AM with two sick girls and I never heard a thing. 
 
After a very leisurely Thursday morning, my brother stopped by on his way home and then we took the girls, along with Kelley, bowling.  Well....the girls almost bowled one whole game and then I played for all 3 of us the whole 2nd game!  That is a whole lot of frames!!!  I wasn't going to let the money go to waste!!!
 
Later than I had wanted, I was dropped off at my grandparents for my own sleepover!  I always enjoy our time together.  We chat, relax, watch a little TV, maybe look at family photos. 
 
Friday morning, the three of us made plans to visit my Aunt Stephanie.  I hadn't seen her in a handful of years because she had moved to Indianapolis (yes, I know, we were both living in Indiana simultaneously, but there were extenuating circumstances, plus we just didn't travel to Indy often).  This would be my first time meeting her new husband, Skeet, and seeing their home.  We were also going to chat about anti-aging, healthy eating, exercising, etc., so, Aunt Stephanie invited her friend, Nancy, too.  Their home is lovely.  A different layout than other Florida homes I have seen over the years, with a door from their bedroom to the pool cage!  From the bedroom, you enter the bathroom and then out the door to the sunshine & pool.  Awesome!!!  And Skeet, well, he is a very likable guy!  My aunt seems happy and that is what matters most to me!
 
Friday nite....Girls Night Out!  My mom with all her girls!!  We went to one of my sisters' usual haunts.  The place was pretty dead and a live band played, so we were pretty much getting our own private concert!  We enjoyed free shots from the owner, who Shan knows, danced with one another and some of Shan's friends.  My mom snuck out around 1, I believe!!!  Me, Shan & Kel took a quick trip to another bar across the street...I met the owners, we enjoyed a free shot, I was introduced to several people.  Shan dropped me off about 2.  Very fun nite!
 
Mom and I slept in a bit on Saturday, before running a few errands and meeting with everyone at Applebees to celebrate my grandparents' birthdays!  Grandpa was turning 89 the next day, while Grandma's birthday isn't until September 18th.  We wanted to fete both of them while we were all together!!!  Grandma was pleasantly surprised!  Mom picked up a tiny cake, too!  Success!!
 
I had to say my goodbyes to my brother, who was leaving for North Carolina the next day for work.  Always hard...I never feel like I get enough time with Ry.  But, he has work and lots of little ones to manage. 
 
Aunt Stephanie said her goodbyes, too, even though she could have told me my last day, as Skeet & Grandpa were taking me to the airport.  She didn't want to delay the inevitable, I guess, nor make herself sick over it.  (She suffers from fibromyalgia and felt she would get too worked up.) 
 
I was supposed to spend the nite at Shan & Steve's, where I would have slept in Shy's bed since she was with her dad most of the weekend.  (He did let us have her for the few hours at Applebees!!)  However, I was just wiped and simply wanted to crash at my mom's.  We did make a quick stop there on our way home, so that I could see Shy's new room (painted all pink!!!).  Shan was exhausted, but she & Steve went out since I wasn't going to hang with them. 
 
Sunday was my Florida vacation moment:  spent several hours in & on the water on Steve's boat with both of my sisters!  Ahhhh!!!  I slathered on my SPF 55 a few times, there was a bit of cloud cover, the water felt almost bath-like and Mom bought me some wine coolers.  The girls tipped one another from floats, Kelley & I played a paddle ball game and we all enjoyed cold, adult beverages!  Our day was cut a little early because the Super Moon created a very high tide.
 
With the early end to our day on the water, tho, my mom made last minute arrangements for us to visit my nephew, Alex, and his son, Casey.  I met Casey when he was only a few weeks old.  Now, he is an adorable 2-year old!  He, unlike Evan, took to me immediately ~ the moment I walked in the door!  Alex & his girlfriend, Brittany, recently moved back in together and are in a very nice place, in a wooded area.  I was so happy to have been able to squeeze in this particular visit because, in all honesty, I didn't think it would happen. 
 
All that was left come Monday was seeing my nephew, Jake.  Again, thanx to my mom, we made a visit to Jake's home, about 25 minutes north, for a lunch date.  He is almost 15, smart, social,
polite!   He has a really great life with his mom, stepdad, stepbrother and half-brother.  I am happy for him! 
 
A quick stop at Kelley's Monday nite, where Shan & Shy joined us, so I could love up on the girls (and Kelley's two awesome part-Bengal cats) and say our farewells.
 
And then....there it was....7 days gone in the blink of an eye!  Each day went by so quickly.  I think I enter a time-warp of sorts when I am there. 
 
My mom and I said our goodbyes before she left for work.  My grandpa picked me up to spend a few hours with he & Grandma. 
 
And not to be forgotten ~ I did get some fitness in, too, to include: Thursday, I crazily went out for a 4-mile run at 11!  SO.HOT.&.HUMID!  I knew better, but I needed it!!  My second run (about 3.5 miles) was done earlier and was much easier, Saturday at 7! 
 
I know we can't live in Florida and I don't know if my family and I could survive living too close to one another, but I never get enough time with each person.  I love them all intensely and I work at being part of their lives. 
 
Until we meet again...
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! You squeezed in a lot in 7 days. Glad you got to see and spend time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sole purpose was to spend time with the family! I am so glad that I was able to see all of them, some more than once! It was a very busy & quick week, but well worth the money spent!

      Delete

Search This Blog