Monday, May 19, 2014

Homemade Healthy Treat Makeovers

Tried my hand at a couple new recipes over the past couple of weeks.  I followed one to the letter.  Also, as usual, when I make them again, I will sneak another ingredient or two in the mix!!
 
 
Healthy 5-Ingredient Granola Bars from the Minimalist Baker are truly spectacular!  These are one of the best pre- and post-workout snacks!  They are also perfect for on-the-go bites (along with cut-up veggies)!!  I toasted the oats and the almonds, as recommended, and I do believe it makes a difference...a most tasty difference!  Tho, it will go against the name, I will be adding ground flax.  Perhaps a raisin or a dark chocolate chip!  Bumping up my ingredient list to 6, 7 or 8...but, eh, who's counting!!!  It's all about making them my own. 
 
 
The avocado in these Fudgy Vegan Brownies is the hidden gem.  To this recipe, I added chopped walnuts.  I think adding dried cranberries would be the next best bump!  And I may not have used enough chopped chocolate this go-around, so I have to be a little more accurate.  Who doesn't want more chocolate?!? 
 
I also made a batch of banana "ice cream" to keep in the freezer for those warm evenings when I need a cold, sweet fix.  All you have to do is add frozen bananas and milk (we use almond) to your food processor and process until a creamy consistency.  You will need to scrape now & then, plus work the bigger chunks of banana to the blade (without getting the spatula chopped in the process).  I added maraschino cherries and a few dark chocolate chunks to have a real banana split!  Well, sans whipped cream, but it was a delight, nonetheless. 
 
Give these a try, let me know what you think and how you will make them your own!  

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try the Fudgy Vegan Brownies. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog