Sunday, April 27, 2014

It Was , Like, Totally Rad

On Friday nite, we had the opportunity to attend a fundraiser for Rainbow Alley of the GLBT Center in Denver.  The "event" was at Club M, part of Hamburger Mary's.  And.......it was 80's themed!!!
 
I knew when I first saw The Center's post on Facebook that Chris and I had to go, like, totally!  (For those who may not know, I threw myself an Awesome 80's party for my 40th birthday two years ago.  Chris, my DJ, dressed as Adam Ant!)
 
I didn't want to wear the exact same outfit as two years ago (I don't even think I have the black shirt anymore, anyway.), which meant a trip to Goodwill to see what, if anything, I could find.  I visited the store in Longmont a couple weeks ago and wasn't finding anything inspiring.  A few things were maybes.  I kept looking, tho, and what did I stumble upon (finally!): an AC/DC tee with "Back in Black 1980" on it!!  I knew it was a shirt which I could cut up to "vintage" 80's style ~ you remember, off-the-shoulder and slits cut into the back!!!  And it was only 3 dollars and 99 cents!
 
I paired my new shirt with a zebra-striped bra, black leggings, a gray & black leopard skirt, black mesh glovelets, zebra earrings and bangle bracelets, a black & gray zebra and rhinestone wrist cuff, black heels, bright makeup and hot-pink tipped spiked hair!!!!  I carried my black & hot pink leopard Beverly Johnson purse, which held a pair of black Rayban-style sunglasses, which I wore for a photo at the club! 
 
Chris and I enjoyed some drinks at the bar before the party started at 10PM, where we made a new friend, Liz, then switched to our flask for the nite.  We listened and danced to some of our favorite 80's tunes!  We even enjoyed some free grub: sliders & fries!!
 
It seems the party was also some kind of reception for a coronation of sorts for the gay & lesbian community and drag queens, but we really have no idea.  No matter, we were there for the fundraising and frivolity!  As always, the people watching with drag queens and kings is a joy!  Some of the queens were pretty good.  Then, there is always the one with the very unique sense of style, the early Sharon Needles (one of my top favorite queens) or Milk.  This event was no different with one dressed somewhat Asian (dress & fan), somewhat Egyptian (face and veil), somewhat Frankenstein (boots).
 
We look forward to when we live in Denver (moving later this year) to spend more time at the bars & clubs and meeting more people dedicated to living the fabulous life!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog