Friday, April 11, 2014

Fitness Finds

I have been missing my gym, like crazy!!  Since we have moved to Colorado, I have been exercising, just not with the same intensity as UFC Gym.  I would run on the treadmill and, when both the treadmill and the weather broke, I have been running outside.  I have been using the weight machines in the fitness room, switching up moderate weights with more reps and heavy weights with fewer reps. 
 
Just last week, I decided I needed to mix it up more and make my own circuit-style strength training.  I warmed up here with 3 sets of 12 reps: jumping jacks, high hands/high knees, mountain climbers, squats, lunges and burpees.  I did a circuit of two sets of moderate weights for 30 seconds.  One time I warmed up before with 12 reps and another I finished with a heavy set at six reps.  I cool down for 10 minutes on the bike before returning home to do several ab/core moves, also 12 reps or 30 seconds each.  Whew! 
 
One day, I received an email from Amazon deals that said I had $10 to spend, which was about to expire.  I decided to see what fitness-related deals were available in our area.  I completely lucked out when I found 10 kickboxing classes for $29, which with my credit only cost me $19!  Less than $2 a class!  Sign me up! 
 
Monday was my first class (and so far the only one I took for this week).  While it was no where near the intensity or length as my gym, it was a good workout after seven months out of the loop!  It felt so good to be in a group fitness class!  When the time came to partner up, for one-on-one knees, I picked the young, fit guy because he reminded me of one of my former gym-mates and I like the challenge!  Having never held pads for someone, it was different.  And the first time he kneed me, I thought I might pee myself!  The instructor gave me a tip, to lean into the knee, which made it far better!  I wasn't ready to be done when the class was finishing!  I will take the Monday and Wednesday classes at 9:15 for the next 4 1/2 weeks. 
 
Chris and I went on a 3 1/2 hour hike on Wednesday in Boulder.  Our last (& first) time there was during our visit in May 2011, when we hiked to the Flat Irons and the Royal Arch.  This time, we took a different route, partly because the 3rd Flat Iron and Royal Arch were closed, and so that we could have a different experience.  We walked from Chautauqua Park to NCAR, taking some side trails along the way, like Woods Quarry and Mallory Cave.  Apparently, at the end of Mallory Cave trail is a BAT cave!  The cave was closed to protect the bats at this time.  The day started cloudier than predicted, but ended sunny & breezy.  It was the most perfect way to spend Chris's mid-week day off !  We were both pretty pooped and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying episodes of "Northern Exposure" from our DVD collection.  I can tell I got a good workout from the hiking because the sides of my booty got sore!  Yes!
 
While relaxing that afternoon, I flipped through a Longmont magazine, where I found an article about fitness programs in our area.  I looked one up and found I can take a 2-week boot camp trial!  I can also add in yoga, zumba, kickboxing and their extreme boot camp (only on Saturdays), if they fit in my schedule.  From May 19th-31st, I will take 30-minute boot camp classes in the mornings, either 8:30 or 9:30!  One morning, I believe, flow yoga immediately follows boot camp, so I think I will stick around for the stretch.  I am going to love it, I know!  However, their pricing structure is high, though probably fair because it includes so many classes.  It's the kind of place where I would like to work (maybe own, someday)!!  But I prefer a place that includes men & women because my four years experience at LAB/UFC taught me how we can push one another and learn from one another, while retaining our unique fitness goals & styles. 
 
I have been re-inspired to get a Group Fitness Instructor certification, along with Nutrition & Wellness.  I want fitness as a major part of my life!  I want to encourage others, while also keeping myself healthy.  Eventually, I would like to add certifications, like Strength Training and Yoga.  I would love to teach TRX, boxing & kickboxing, lifting and have them all rolled into a circuit-style boot camp!  What I fell in love with and saw my body changed by is what I want to live and share!
 
Additionally, I have begun reading library books about nutrition, health, hormones, aging and how all those work together for a vibrant life (and marriage)! 
 
So, I am starting down the path to my next career! 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You can practice your new finds on me, lol...onward down the path Pixie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx, Trixie! I have another book to suggest: Consciously Female by Tracy Gaudet, M.D. I am going to start I'm Too Young For This by Suzanne Somers next!

      Delete
    2. Added them to my list ;)

      Delete

Search This Blog