Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ostara Blessings

Happy Ostara!  Or as most may know it, Happy 1st Day of Spring!!!

However, our temps aren't getting out of the 20's today...and with the wind chill, it may not even feel like 20's!!  The sun is out, tho, so there is consolation in that!

I also have 2 dozen daffodils opening in a vase on my desk!  I bought a bunch from the American Cancer Society and was given a second bunch plus a vase from the person who was collecting the donations!  Yay! 

A little cup, a little frill, that's how you make a daffodil.

Daffodils are one of my all-time favorite flowers!  We had them behind the garage at our house in Hobart, so I was able to cut them each Spring for our house, but not this year. 

The ways in which I will honor Ostara today are mostly in food, as being outdoors, even to have a quick bonfire, isn't that appealing...and will be less so by the time I get home from work.  (Tho I would love to take a walk to the Lake ~~ that remains to be seen!)

I am enjoying some of nature's finest today: carrots, celery, an orange and an apple. 

But the biggest Ostara food would be the incredible, edible egg!

Chris made us migas for breakfast, I am having 2 hard-boiled eggs for lunch and I will be adding hard-boiled eggs to our big salads for dinner. 

Our salads will be chock full of Mama Nature's goodness:  spinach, carrots, celery, tomato, avocado, sunflower seeds, craisins, hard-boiled eggs and walnuts.  We are going to "break bread" with a small u-bake asiago loaf.  To drink: either gluten-free beer, hard cider or wine.  And for dessert, I am making a spice cake with pure pumpkin! 

Hail, and welcome!
Green life returns to the earth
blooming and blossoming
once more from the soil.
We welcome you,
goddesses of spring,
... Eostre, Persephone, Flora, Cybele,
in the trees,
in the soil,
in the flowers,
in the rains,
and we are grateful
for your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog