Monday, March 18, 2013

All Things Green

On Sunday, the 10th, we had a date with my aunt.  As a belated birthday gift, we took her to see "Oz, the Great and Powerful" followed by dinner at Olive Garden.

I thought the movie was pretty good, yet not great.  I really liked the beginning, in black & white.  Actually, my favorite part was the intro credits b/c they used an old-fashioned style!!!  I am "old school" when it comes to most effects in movies.  I am not a huge fan of CG and rather prefer the first three original "Star Wars" movies and the original "Wizard of Oz".  It's the organic, feel of the real stuff that appeals to me.  References were made to the Lion, the Scarecrow and Dorothy's gingham dress, but the Tinman seems to have been passed over.  Odd, I know!!  "Oz" had a good enough story and the three witches looked good, too.  Again, tho, nothing was GREAT to me.  There is definitely a possibility for a sequel to this prequel, which, in effect, would be a remake of the original.  :)

Yesterday, we celebrated St. Patty's day in Crown Point for the first time.  Unfortunately, the weather was far too cold for many other revelers and the Square was pretty empty most of the day.  I think most people waited until right before the parade, which began at dusk, to head out...all bundled up. 

We parked at my aunt's, brought out the mint chocolate with green sprinkles pretzels and the herbed cream cheese-stuffed celery, poured an Angry Orchard for each of us in a plastic cup and made our way on foot to the Square.  It.was.a.ghosttown!  We made a beeline for one of the (many) bars, Silver Bullet, which is owned by our long-time family friend, Barb Black. 

When Chris and I first arrived at the bar, Barb wasn't there.  I sent a text to my mom and sisters to wish them a Happy St. Patrick's Day and to tell them where we were.  My mom calls me to give me Barb's number, but I told her I wasn't going to call and that Barb should be arriving later; that we'd check back.  A couple minutes later, the bartender comes to us, with the phone in her hand and asking if either of us is Jennifer.  My mom had called Barb, Barb then called the bar and told her bartender she had to go around the bar to find Jennifer or Chris Mojica!!!  She wanted to let me know she could be there in, like, 15 minutes!  I told her to just take her time and we would come back!!!  Too funny!!! 

After enjoying a Summer Shandy at Silver Bullet, we met up with some old friends, one of whom had participated in the St. Baldrick's head-shaving event at the CP Firehouse.  They got some elephant ears; Dan & I got green beers, but it was just too darn cold to be outside for long, so they departed and we went back to the bar, to chat with Barb and drink some more.

A couple hours later, we walked back to my aunt's ~~ and it was now even colder ~~ to eat some corn beef sandwiches and get ready for the parade. 

I think we missed several of the early entries for the parade, to include the Lake County Pipes & Drums, of which our friend, Dave, is a member.  We really wanted to see him and Sandra, so that was a bummer.

Chris & I enjoyed ourselves, despite the cold & not seeing our friends for long (or at all).  I highly suspect our alcohol consumption had ALOT to do with our good day!  HA!!

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog