Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ghostwood Farm


A high school classmate of mine, Adam, and his wife, Melissa, have a small farm on their, oh, 33 acres in Bedford, Indiana, just south of Bloomington.  They were hosting their 3rd Annual Ghostwood Farm Open House this past weekend.  We didn't make it down last year, so I wasn't going to miss it. 

Originally, we planned to camp on the farm.  I borrowed a tent and Adam's parents were loaning us an air mattress; however, the weather report was freaking Chris out b/c rain was in the forecast.  He was all, "We are NOT going if it rains!  I am not walking around in mud!" etc., etc.  I was able to convince him to go by getting a hotel room (with some credit card points). 
We were going right past Oliver Winery, one of our favorite producers, which incidentally opened in 1972 ~ the best vintage, so I suggested that we stop for a quick visit.  We love visiting wineries!!  We didn't do any sampling b/c we already know what we like, but we were able to get a small tour of the winemaking facilities.  The grounds are beautiful, made even more so with pumpkins, squash, mums, etc.!  I bought a couple "daisy" gourds to use in my Fall flower box display!  It was a really nice break from our long drive, too.

From Oliver, we went straight to Comfort Inn to check in, drop off our stuff and freshen up real quick.  

The drive to Ghostwood Farm is wind-y and beautiful.  We drove by Lake Monroe and lots and lots of trees, which are their most beautiful in the Fall, of course!!!  We got to our final destination about 5PM (their time) and were pretty hungry!  I knew Adam had smoked pork and couldn't wait to get a sandwich!!!  There was just a little more than 2 sandwiches worth left ~ whew!!!

Another classmate, Michele, and her husband, Dan, made it down, too.  We chatted with them while we ate ~~ so much good food...the sweets kept landing on my plate and in my belly the whole nite ~~ before Adam led a group of us on a tour of the property.






I brought home this geode, which Adam thinks he might have cut in half with the bushhog ~ score!!!

After the tour, we ended up around the bonfire.  BRRRRRR!  Even with the fire going, we were so cold!  I was bundled up with a long-sleeve shirt, sweater & coat, plus gloves & a hat AND a blanket!!!  We talked, joked, laughed & drank til close to midnite.  I am glad we had a warm place with a soft bed (& a shower) waiting for us, rather than the confines of a tent on this super-cold nite!!! 

The farm has chickens and roosters & they grow produce (pumpkins, squash, asparagus & beans, just to name a few).  I was looking forward to buying some of their white pumpkins ~ I got 4 to add to my burgeoning collection!!

Chris took some great pics of the Ghostwood fowl:





I believe that is Kingfish...the top "dog"

Chris named this one Chanticlear.



A breakfast of melons grown at Ghostwood

 Sunday morning, we headed back to the Farm for a breakfast that included eggs from their chickens and venison sausage.  YUM!  The house was full of people, but it was cozy and welcoming.  Adam & Melissa were so calm amidst it all ~ perfect hosts for such a gathering!  We brought a (store bought) sweet potato cake that paired perfectly with (the much-needed) coffee.

After breakfast, we headed back outside, where I immediately headed for the coop to see if I could find any newly laid eggs.

I found 4...one of which was still warm!

About eleven (our time) we started the drive back home.  The part of the drive that is south of I-465, on 37, is such a treat for the eyes at this time of year!!!  I only wish the sun had been shining more b/c the colors of the leaves just pop in the sunlight!!

We had a fantastic time and can't thank Adam & Melissa enough for their generosity and graciousness.  We will make the trip next year, if we still live in Indiana, that is.  There are many projects that Adam wants to complete and we look forward to seeing the progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog