Sunday, February 22, 2015

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Denver is getting bands of snowfall all weekend long.  Yesterday morning, as I left for work, the trees were dusted with snow, City Park was awash in it, as were the skies above ~~ it was this magical whiteness.  I was disappointed that both of us were working yesterday (not a usual day for either of us) because we missed out on a magical morning walk.
 
We spent the afternoon, laying on our bed, watching Netflix!  We caught "Chef" first.  I had wanted to watch it and was so pleased to find it for free!!!  Jon Favreau is both a great writer and director, and not too shabby an actor!  John Leguizamo is almost always a riot!  We had "Silver Linings Playbook" in our queue for months (I kid you not!) and we finally got around to it, after we made grilled cheese sandwiches to enjoy with some chips and chopped veggies...and a few sweets Chris brought from work.  I think I hadn't felt like watching it because I thought it was going to be a tear-jerker.  Fortunately, I was wrong.  Bradley Cooper was so out of his norm and he did a fantastic job!
 
The snow had begun to fall again while we were in our cocoon.  We looked across to City Park from our kitchen window and, in the darkness of 6:30, we were beckoned.  We bundled up and headed out into a light snow that was coming down almost sideways!  I had to keep my head down to prevent it from stinging my eyes.  Laughing the whole way and regularly brushing ourselves off, we got across the street and made our way to the main building at the lake.  We took a brief respite under shelter and then walked across to the pavilion at the lake's edge.  From there, we could look across the lake, which appeared to be covered in fog, but was actually the falling snow.  Even the geese below had snow on them!!! 
 
The impending storm had kept many people at home, so traffic was very light and the park empty.  The snow-packed roads muffled any sound from the few cars out & about.  The snow covered ground of the park was pristine....no footprints, save for the ones we had left behind.  The snow, both falling and on the ground, was glitter!!!  Further adding to the magical quality of it all.   
 
A walk around the lake was not to be; our faces were cold & wet.  But this little jaunt, this foray into the evening snowfall, so deafening in its quietness, was a special experience with nature.  One I am sure is much more grand and profound when experienced in the mountains...and one I may, one day, have the opportunity to enjoy.  But I won't waste my chances on "one day" and miss out on today!
 


2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely vignette. It makes me miss the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I often have to wax poetic about it to make it tolerable to myself! Looking at it and admiring it is one thing....driving in it, as you know, is a different story! :)

      Delete

Search This Blog