Tuesday, June 25, 2013

More Fun-in-the-Sun Highlights

Tuesday was my mom's day to join us!

Chris and I headed to Duval for the morning.  We stopped at The Bull (which became our go-to place for most of the trip!), the oldest open air bar in Old Town Key West, for some 2 for 1 margaritas!  The Bull, which is the 1st level of the 3 bars, has stools right at the front, facing Duval Street, so you can drink, people watch and enjoy the good weather! 

There is a lady who sits right outside the bar; she is known as a barker.  She hands out drink tickets for all 3 bars there.  There is also a guy who sets up "shop" on the sidewalk in front of The Bull where he sells necklaces, braclets & anklets he makes. 

Neither the barker, nor the jewelry guy, work really hard at engaging the passersby.

Shortly before noon, I think, the barker took her lunch break.  Well, I was feeling good from my margarita and the sunshine, so I slid off my barstool and went out front to take over for her while she was gone! 

It was so much fun!  Chris & I laughed the whole time!  The jewelry guy even came over to chat.  He had some bubbles, so he asked these 2 girls sitting next to us (who were from Australia) to work the bubble machine in front of the fan.  I was totally hawking the drink cards!  I was making jokes and conversations with the people passing by!!  Telling the sweaty folks, "You look thirsty!"  Chris was taking pics of me working!  I think I was the hardest working tourist on Key West!!!  I know I got some people to head into The Bull for some drinks!  And I hope I made the real barker some money! 

When she returned, I hopped off her seat & we headed back to the condo to await my mom's arrival!  What a hoot!!  What a memory!!! 

Mom got there in no time and was so happy to 1) be on vacation, 2) be on vacation in Key West and 3) be on vacation in Key West with us!!!  We were glad we could do this for/with her, too.

After a short rest, the 3 of us headed to Blue Heaven for lunch.  We all got their grilled cheese sandwiches, which did not disappoint!  As I had suspected, Blue Heaven was certainly my mom's kind of place!  We made sure to take her upstairs to see the former bordello digs!!

We made a stop at The Bull, too, of course!  Chris and I got margaritas (with our 2 for 1 card that I snagged from the barker).  My mom drinks rum & coke and The Whistle, the 2nd floor bar, had 2 for 1 well drink cards, so Chris ran upstairs to get Mom's drinks while I got ours.  The 3 of us enjoyed sitting along Duval, while chatting with the jewelry guy and making the passersby happy with the bubble machine!!! 

I think we may have hit Mallory Square for the sunset activities.  We saw Catman ("This guy is a nut!") and this 55-year old man who does amazing acrobatic feats, even including brave audience members!

Eventually, the 3 of us made the trip to the Garden of Eden ~ the only clothing optional bar (well, for all sexual preferences...I am sure the strictly gay bars are less restrictive than most!).  There weren't too many people, as it was only 9.  Some drunk girls near the DJ, one or two couples and several people at the bar.  I believe there were 3 or 4 women who were topless (they had simply slipped their tops down to their waists).  We heard that it picks up around 11 and is a very interesting scene! 

Had I been able to drink some more, I like to believe I would have participated.  But wouldn't you know...for the first time in our whole trip...it started to rain.  And then it really started to come down!!!  We ran under a bit of cover near the bar, tho I was still getting wet, and when we didn't really see any sign of it letting up, we headed back down to the first floor...The Bull, of course.  There we sat, listening to some live music, having a drink, waiting for the rain to subside so we could walk back "home". 

On Wednesday, we walked to the Southernmost Point & got our pic together!  There is usually a decent waiting line, so since it was really short, we took our opportunity!!  From there, we walked to the Southernmost Beach Cafe for breakfast!  Just like the lunch Chris and I had, breakfast did not disappoint!!  My mom and I both took leftovers back to the condo, along with another piece of free key lime pie! 

We made sure to take a several hour rest period in the middle of the day.  Mom napped, while Chris & I went to the pool.  Our plan for the evening was to get to Alonzo's for Happy Hour again.

Just after we got to the pool, tho, here came some more rain.  We waited it out under cover of the little bathroom cabana.  It lasted about 20 minutes.

Would you believe that after we returned from the pool another 20-minute rain shower?!?  Well, that is fairly typical of Florida summer rains! 

We all got ready for our evening out.  I bought the 3 of us temporary tattoos which read "Happy Hour is the Best Hour": Mom wanted hers smack dab in the middle of her chest, Chris wore his near his right shoulder blade and mine was on my left bicep!  Now we were ready to head out to the wharf. 

Can you guess what happened almost right after we left the condo?  Yup, down pour!  We got under an overhang at a government building and huddled there for several minutes, debating if we should go back (which was MUCH shorter) or wait a bit to see if things let up (like the 20-minute showers of earlier) and keep on with the plan to Alonzo's.  At this point it's around 5, we have left later than maybe we should have b/c Happy Hour is only from 4-6:30.  We figure what does it matter if we are wet!  We are on vacation!!  And much of the time we have been sweaty, anyway!!!  So, we start the crazy journey from one overhang to the next, like Frogger, trying to make it for half price drinks and appetizers!!!  At one point, Chris is the scout, going ahead to find the next spot and my mom and I almost pee ourselves from laughing!!!  By the time we make it to Front Street, we are pretty wet...and the streets are pretty flooded!  So we are wading thru ankle deep water!  I would just take off my sandals as we crossed! 

Whew!  I think we made it by the hair on our chinny chin chins!  We wanted to sit outside at Alonzo's, (like Chris and I did our first visit) but the wait was questionable and we didn't want to miss happy hour pricing, so we took a booth inside.  We quickly ordered drinks and food, and another 2 rounds!!!   

From there, we walked along the boardwalk, easterly, and explored where Chris and I had not yet meandered.  We also found Flagler Station, where my mom had been incessantly talking about finding b/c she wanted us to see the video clips of the Flagler Railroad.  (Would you believe we were told by someone at the Visitor's Center that this place no longer existed?!  My mom was crushed, until we stumbled upon it that nite!!!)

We were back at Duval, so we landed at 801 Bourbon Bar for drinks and to listen to karaoke!  Mom loved this place, too, and we snapped a pic of her and Miss Pride 2013, Jessica Grabbit, in her Cleopatra costume!!

Details of our BEST nite to come.  Hint: Aqua Nightclub!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog