Monday, May 13, 2013

LAB Loss

Yes, they say, change makes the world go round!  But that doesn't mean it's always easy to go along or that it doesn't hurt, even a little, does it?

While I was in Florida having a grand ole time with my biological family, a family member from LA Boxing was fired.  I was shocked, to say the least!  "How could this be?!?"  "Will it blow over?"  "Will they be able to get passed it and he be back?"   

Nick Wayne, to many of us, is the heart of LAB.  He taught the most classes.  He was the most enthusiastic of all the instructors.  He created & was the sole trainer for our circuit classes.  For some, Nick was the reason they stayed, they kept coming back, they continued the struggle to be healthier ~ for them, this is even more devastating, I suspect.  Others were closer personally, to include outside of LAB.  For them, this feels like an act of betrayal and they are not above showing their contempt to Paul & Danielle. 

Unfortunately, Nick had a falling out of sorts with the owners, who also happen to be his sister and brother-in-law.

To say this loss is complicated is an understatement.

One week of Nick not being at the gym had passed before I was back there.  I have now been back for two weeks and I can say with all honesty that things are different.  It is hard not having Nick there...we saw him pretty much every single time we (Chris & I) were at the gym.  There is a pallor, a quietness, an awkwardness. 

I know that it will never be the same, but I hope, in time, the tension will lessen and lessen until it exists no longer.

In the meantime, I am moving forward and making the best of things.  I have a new Tuesday/Thursday circuit instructor, Hammer.  I was apprehensive about taking my first class with him b/c others had a problem with him when he filled in for Nick previously.  However, the owners spoke to him about it and he changed immediately.  My options were: give Hammer a try or no longer have circuit!  He is tough...very intense.  I am liking it! 

We have another new boxing and kickboxing instructor, Chris, on Fridays.  He's doing a good job, too. 

It's not like we haven't lost and gained instructors in the almost 4 years I have been a member, but it was never under these circumstances and it was never NICK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog